PDA

View Full Version : Want some shrimp!

Kriblover
07-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Im thinking about buying a 5 gallon aquarium for some shrimp. Any ideas on what kind. I am not going to add any fish. So it will be just shrimp. I am new to shrimp keeping so any advice would be very helpful!

Brhino
07-26-2011, 01:27 PM
red cherry shrimp are usually given as one of the best beginner shrimp. They're fairly hardy (for shrimp), not too expensive, they're colorful, and they breed easily.

Kriblover
07-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Ok. I have seen those before. Do they need anything special? Food? The tank? Size? Plants? Anything? What other shrimp would work?

Lady Hobbs
07-26-2011, 01:35 PM
I have RCS (red cherry shrimp). I found with these guys if they have black gravel, it will bring out their red color. I have some in a tank with brown gravel and can hardly see them.

PS...Just took a quick pic for you. They're having breakfast. You'll see some drab colored ones in there. I think those are the males.

Kriblover
07-26-2011, 01:40 PM
So black gravel brings out their color. I'll buy some of that. Any plants or something else. Thanks for the advice!

Lady Hobbs
07-26-2011, 01:57 PM
They eat algae constantly so have to have plants. I just crammed some java moss, rocks and driftwood in their tank. (I'm lazy.) They clean everything so it doesn't matter. I give mine shrimp pellets or an algae waffer now and then if I worry there isn't enough algae. I use a sponge filter.

Kriblover
07-26-2011, 02:02 PM
So you need a filter? Even with just a small tank? What kinds of plants? Fake? Real? How much are the shrimp pellets? How much are RCS themselves? Thanks! You have no idea how much you have been already!

Brhino
07-26-2011, 02:20 PM
So you need a filter? Even with just a small tank?

Yes, you need a filter. Shrimp tend to be sensitive to water parameters so you never want to add them to anything other than a filtered, cycled tank.

What kinds of plants? Fake? Real?

Any real plants should do. What you're doing is nurturing an environment for microorganisms and algae that the shrimp will feed off of.

How much are the shrimp pellets?

About the same as any regular fish food. I never "feed" my shrimp directly, but they eat any kind of fish food they can get, since I do keep mine with fish.

How much are RCS themselves?

In stores they tend to be $2-3 each. You can get them online for cheaper, from an auction site like aquabid or similar. I paid $20 for 20 from aquabid and got free shipping. If you start out with 20 or so they will soon breed and fill the tank.

Kriblover
07-26-2011, 04:22 PM
What kind of plants work best? How big of a tank should I get? Fish with or without? What kind of so? Thank you soooooooo much!

Brhino
07-26-2011, 04:39 PM
What kind of plants work best?

It won't make a huge difference to the shrimp. If you want to keep things simple you'll want to look for some low-maintenance plants that don't need a lot of work or strong lighting/fertilization to do well.

How big of a tank should I get?

Up to you. A 5 gallon like you mentioned in your first post would be fine for shrimp and plants.

Fish with or without? What kind of so?

Fish with shrimp can be tricky because most fish will eat shrimp if given the chance. It can be done if you plant heavily so there are lots of hiding places for the shrimp, but if you're primarily interested in the shrimp themselves it may be best to not add fish.

Lady Hobbs
07-26-2011, 05:03 PM
I, too, would recommend real plants but now you are going into another problem which would be the lights needed for plants. As you can see from my photo, my java is looking sick because the only light on my tank is the hood light. (I have a light fixture for it but need to order the bulbs.)

Hood lights are simply for viewing but not very effective for plant growth. Even low-light plants need more than a hood light and so it's kinda hard to recommend live plants to someone when they may not have the extra money to buy the proper lights for plants.

I have an empty 5 gallon (hospital tank) and when I want a light on it, I have a clamp on light from Home Depot I've used. I just use a plant bulb in it.

This can be a crazy hobby, for sure. You began with a $8-5 gallon tank but by the time you add a heater, filter, lights and plants, you now how a $60 tank and haven't put a fish in it yet.

Perhaps Brhino or someone can give better ideas but I've never been able to grow a thing without proper lights.

Kriblover
07-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Ok so no fish. Any more info on RCS?

Kriblover
07-26-2011, 08:13 PM
I have the money to buy all the stuff. So I can buy that stuff.

Kriblover
07-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Should I get a bubbler thing too?

Kriblover
07-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Should I also have an I get an internal, underground or a normal filter thing?

Kriblover
07-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Heater too?

Brhino
07-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Ok so no fish. Any more info on RCS?

I'm going to take a page out of our member of the month's book and recommend you hit up google. There are several good sites devoted purely to shrimp.

Should I get a bubbler thing too?

An airstone should not be required. With just shrimp in the tank oxygenation should not be an issue. You can if you like.

Should I also have an I get an internal, underground or a normal filter thing?

You can get whatever kind of filter your prefer. The only thing I'd mention is that if it's a filter with an intake that shrimp can get sucked into, you'll want to put a sponge prefilter over the intake so all your shrimp don't end up inside the filter.

Heater too?

Probably a good idea. RCS should do okay at room temperature, but a heater will help to eliminate rapid temperature changes, which can be a problem in small unheated tanks.

Kriblover
07-26-2011, 11:32 PM
So what kind of filter do you recommend? Do you recommend a heater or no?

Lady Hobbs
07-26-2011, 11:46 PM
A little light like this would work.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10977/product.web

Brhino
07-26-2011, 11:49 PM
I don't have much personal experience with filtration for small tanks. I suggest you look into sponge filters... they work well for small tanks and the shrimp will enjoy sitting on them and feeding.

And yes, as I said, I do recommend a heater.

Kriblover
07-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Would any light lik that work? What kind of filter do you use? And heater?

Kriblover
07-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Would an undergravel one work with sand? If my house is heated nicel would I need a heater? It pretty much stays the same the whole day. Cools of a bit at night in the summer. And warms up a bit in the winter at night. So would I need one or not? Thanks!!!