PDA

View Full Version : Wonder of wonders, lol

sheamurai
07-25-2011, 03:28 PM
My Flame Scallop decided to roost somewhere where I can actually manage to take a picture of it! I sure hope it stays there, but I did tank maintenance today, so I will be surprised if its still there tomorrow morning.

I've had it 14 months now.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/1112/medium/flameJuly.jpg

bignellm
07-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Awesome... :22:

smaug
07-25-2011, 04:09 PM
My wife wants one of them. Have you found them difficult to keep?

Goes to 11!
07-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Cool pic! Keep us posted.

sheamurai
07-25-2011, 04:52 PM
thanks guys

@smaug - they are supposed to be one of the most difficult creatures to keep. Most reefers don't believe they should be sold at all.

Generally flames die from 9 months to a year in a tank, which is how long it takes for them to slowly starve to death.

At 14 months, I have done well, but unless I can keep it for at least another 4 months, I won't really believe its still not just slowly starving, as it doesn't seem to be growing at all.
No one really knows how long they can live in an aquarium. 2 yrs is the best I've heard of.

What I've done to keep mine as long as I have :
- feed every other day with microscopic foods (we're talking stuff thats measured in microns) both frozen and dried
- let it go where it wants. Everyone wants them front and centre where they can be seen and appreciated, but they need to be protected by a shelf of rock, so this may mean you will never see the thing for months at a time.

I pretty much constantly have a slight scuzz of algae happening in my tank, due to the constant feedings required for it.

Cliff
07-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Great job with the tank

You know you are doing something right when you can keep a Flame Scallop for over a year