PDA

View Full Version : Having Some Annoying Issues!!

MeganL3985
07-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Okay so my mini-bow got delivered a little bit ago. As i'm setting it up it hits me.....this has an under gravel filter! I was for some reason under the impression that it would have the same type of HOB as my 5 gal hex....only smaller b/c its a 2.5 gal. Well nope it has an undergravel filter, which smashes the dreams of the sand that i've boiled and have started rinsing. There is no way I can use an undergravel filter with sand! So I have a dilemma. I was wondering if maybe I can take the undergravel system out and just use the sand. Since the sand holds the debri/waste at the top, could I just hold the vaccum over the sand when I change the water out? That way it sucks the crap out of it when I change the water. Ahhhhh such a let down! :c11:

Lady Hobbs
07-27-2007, 05:04 PM
I didn't realize they come with UGF either. I guess you could just leave the top off and add a HOB. The top is not needed unless the fish are jumpers but then you will lose your light.

Hummmm......perhaps you might want to save your sand for another tank? Run out and buy another one. You know you want to!

Drumachine09
07-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Is it possible for you to take a picture of the top of the hood? Depending on how its configured, you could ad a small HOB.

MeganL3985
07-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Yeah I can take a picture. I have to finish cleaning my bathroom and laundry room and then i'll take the pic and post it. Be back in a little bit! Thanks ya'll!

Drumachine09
07-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah I can take a picture. I have to finish cleaning my bathroom and laundry room and then i'll take the pic and post it. Be back in a little bit! Thanks ya'll!

Okey doke!

SkarloeysMom
07-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Okay so my mini-bow got delivered a little bit ago. As i'm setting it up it hits me.....this has an under gravel filter! I was for some reason under the impression that it would have the same type of HOB as my 5 gal hex....only smaller b/c its a 2.5 gal. Well nope it has an undergravel filter, which smashes the dreams of the sand that i've boiled and have started rinsing. There is no way I can use an undergravel filter with sand! So I have a dilemma. I was wondering if maybe I can take the undergravel system out and just use the sand. Since the sand holds the debri/waste at the top, could I just hold the vaccum over the sand when I change the water out? That way it sucks the crap out of it when I change the water. Ahhhhh such a let down! :c11:

That's really strange that your MiniBow has an UGF. Mine came with a Whisper Micro filter that hangs inside the tank. And according to their spec info. on the Walmart web site it is supposed to come with that.

As far as HOB filters go for a 2.5 I think you're only choice would be the Azoo Palm filter and since I've never actually measured one I'm not sure that would even fit. The problem is that there is on about one inch of open space from the back of the tank to the hood and that's very little clearance for a HOB filter.

SkarloeysMom
07-28-2007, 12:05 AM
Is it possible for you to take a picture of the top of the hood? Depending on how its configured, you could ad a small HOB.

When I measured mine the hole in the hood was only 5" long and 1" out from the back of the tank. There is no way to modify it to be bigger because the light fixture is flush with the 1" dimension of the opening.

Lady Hobbs
07-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Could you just eliminate the filter and use a sponge filter? You could still have the lights?

Algenco
07-28-2007, 12:31 AM
I beleive I would use a sponge filter or the UGF. I still like them.

MeganL3985
07-28-2007, 01:22 AM
I decided on just skipping out on the sand and got some white & beige gravel. I took pictures of the setup, i'll post it in a new thread in the "Tank setup" section. Its not the finished product, I have a few tweaks to make and I will post final results tomorrow. But new pics in the other thread! :)

Lady Hobbs
07-28-2007, 03:13 AM
I knew all alone you wanted another tank so you could use that sand.