PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn case of tail rot

SkarloeysMom
07-27-2007, 02:53 PM
This little panda I got a few weeks ago has STILL got fin rot. Its mostly on the tail and the right pectoral fin. I've tried a 4 day treatment of Jungle Fungus clear in quarrentine which seemed to work for a bit. Then when he was back in the 10g it seemed to get worse again and another started to show signs of it so I treated the tank with Maracyn-2. That didn't seem to work so after giving it a few days I'm back to quarrentining 2 pandas and on my 3rd day of 4 day treatment with the Jungle stuff again. It still doesn't appear to be working. The fins just seem to be getting shorter.

So what now?? I haven't tried Melefix yet. Should I go for it? Am I gonna have to just put these guys out of their misery? The weird thing is that they don't seem sick. They are eating and swimming around still. Its hard to think about euthanizing a fish who doesn't act sick other than the whole loss of tail thing.

Oh and the 10g tank water is (0,0,<10,Ph7) and I change 25% water every week. I'm sure that my gravel changing a couple weeks ago was not good for their recovery but not much I can do about that now.

Lady Hobbs
07-27-2007, 04:31 PM
I had no luck using the melafix at all on my bala shark with mouth fungus. I just used the Jungle Labs. You probably need to treat longer with repeat dosages with water changes between (25%) is what's recommend on the pack.

Have you removed charcoal while treating?

SkarloeysMom
07-27-2007, 04:53 PM
I had no luck using the melafix at all on my bala shark with mouth fungus. I just used the Jungle Labs. You probably need to treat longer with repeat dosages with water changes between (25%) is what's recommend on the pack.

Have you removed charcoal while treating?

Yes, I removed all the carbon from all my tanks. I think it was in the middle of the Maracyn-2 treatment. However, when I read the instructions for that treatment it said that if the carbon was more than a week old you could leave it in place so I did.

SkarloeysMom
08-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Well the little panda with the worst case of tail rot I've ever seen finally died today. I had tried to treat him several times over the last month and he never responded to the treatments. Poor little guy. Its such a bummer when the meds don't seem to work and they die anyway.

The other panda is not looking so good either. I may just go ahead and put him to sleep if he doesn't die too before the day is out. I don't think he has a chance now that his only buddy is gone.

It sucks that the little fish that I loved so much will soon all be gone. I just love cory catfish but now I don't know if I want to get anymore anytime soon. If I do at some point maybe I'll get a different species.

RobbieG
08-05-2007, 02:28 PM
I would try a tetracycline based medication - the meds in your LFS should have the ingredients on them - Maracy II is monocycline.

When you use it cover the tank with a cloth the medication can be degraded by sunlight.

SkarloeysMom
08-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Well, I'll have to try that next time. I just had to ice the last Panda. He was laying on his side and breathing rapidly and not responding when I tried to get him upright. It was time to put him out of his misery.

troy
08-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your losses.:scry:

RobbieG
08-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Sorry about your loss - I know you really liked the little guys :(

SkarloeysMom
08-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks Robbie and Troy. I did love those little dudes. I hope I can get another shoal someday but not anytime soon.

tropfish
08-05-2007, 10:10 PM
sorry to hear about it, but at least you don't have to worry about them anymore.