PDA

View Full Version : Bristlenose?

octoxpuss
07-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Hello All: By now you know me for the most part. I really would like 2 bristlenose pleco's for in my 55 gallon planted tank to keep up with the algae. Sadly I can not find anything I mean I found on aquabid but it keeps saying my password is wrong but it isn't so I sent out an email. ANYWAY!!! I was wondering if anyone had some bristlenose pleco's that they were willing to sell. I mean like baby plecos that you want to sell. P.S. I had no clue how to post in the buy in sell forum so I figured I would post it here in hopes the mods would find it and move it. :D

Sandz
07-18-2011, 11:14 PM
i would pm toddnbecka and see if they have some babies still.

octoxpuss
07-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks I PM'ed them and hopefully they get back soon. Anyone else in mind. I never really talked to this person are they reputable or however you spell that. I think I have heard of them on here but IDK what they are like. Hehehehe

Sandz
07-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Their knowledge is reputable but I have never had the opportunity to buy from them. I was seriously thinking about it for a breed of cichlid they had but currently am in the state of moving so cant add on.

octoxpuss
07-19-2011, 01:51 AM
Aha. Thanks for the referral. I appreciate it.

toddnbecka
07-19-2011, 03:36 AM
You can check my feedback on aquabid, e-bay, aquariacentral.com and/or plantedtank.net Same ID everywhere (toddnbecka) with a long history of shady deals and dead fish... :18: :hmm3grin2orange:

octoxpuss
07-19-2011, 03:50 AM
Ha. Ha. Ha. I have no clue how to do any of this. I just started an account today on aquabid but it is saying my password is incorrect, (THEY GAVE IT TO ME I DIDNT GET TO CHOOSE) any hopefully you got my newest PM.

Spidyman
07-19-2011, 06:58 AM
I would vouch for them I have a pair and they are by far the best looking bns I've ever seen in any store and most pics.

dbosman
07-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Hello All: By now you know me for the most part. I really would like 2 bristlenose pleco's for in my 55 gallon planted tank to keep up with the algae. ...

Two things.
Bristle nose or any other pleco eat algae when young. They're hungry. As they age they will eat less algae and go after food. They are not going to clean your tank for you. They will help, but you're responsible for what they don't eat. BN plecos need foods other than algae. Algae wafers are great for them, but it's because the first ingredient is fish meal.
Zucchini, cucumber, yams are all good easy to feed veggies that all ages will go for. Sinking earthworm sticks are a great supplement.

The other thing, is get several not just two. I suggest long fin if you don't keep fin nippers, as they look more elegant in the tank.

Goes to 11!
07-19-2011, 07:43 PM
+1 to dbosemans post above, All relevant points.

octoxpuss
07-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Which I knew and considered. I am going for normal since right now I have some fin nippers in my tank. I also new that they need more than just algae to eat. Hence the reason I put the "..." after algae. However I did not know about the keeping more than 2. So maybe 3 in my 55 gallon. I already have algae wafers for my loaches to pick at, they love to just gobble them down. Thanks for the advice.

toddnbecka
07-20-2011, 05:40 AM
Bristlenose and other Ancistrus species do eat algae their whole lives. The common pleco's are the ones that eat it when small then prefer other foods as they grow larger. As for numbers, most male pleco's (including BN) are territorial, not social fish like Cory cats. Just because some fish will tolerate others of their own species w/out killing them doesn't mean they need or even prefer to be kept in groups. Pairs or trios are fine for breeding, extra males are unnecessary at best.

octoxpuss
07-21-2011, 01:46 AM
Hey, Sorry about the whole mis-hap thing that happened Toddnbecka. I figured this way it would be easier for the both of us since it was local (so to speak) I could pick the fish right up from there. Trust me I am keeping you in mind. What other fish do you breed or just BN's. Also what plants?

toddnbecka
07-21-2011, 06:24 AM
No problem, I'm surprised you had a hard time finding them locally.
I have 4 breeding pairs of Cryptoheros cutteri and a few of their fry that have managed to avoid the catfish that got several hundred of their siblings.
Ruby red and eureka red peacocks, maingano (mbuna) should be starting soon.
I lost over 100 Australoheros oblongums about a month or so back, had grown those out since last August. Still have 7 juvies though, so I will have them breeding again sooner or later.
I also have groups of L-134, L-333, L-340, and LDA-08 pleco's that I'm waiting for some action from.
Also some P. typus, a small mouthbrooding Tanganykian catfish that keep the cutteri from running amok. They look big enough to spawn, should be soon with all the live food.
I have gotten 4 Synodontis multipunctatus fry from my group of eureka red peacocks, 2 are about half grown, the other 2 are only a few months old now.
Endler's livebearers, black bar, peacock, and blondes.
White cloud mountain minnows.
Latest addition was a dozen Sewellia lineolata hillstream loaches, they should be interesting.
Plants, I only grow floaters. Najas indica and roraima, hornwort, amazon frogbit, Salvinia, water sprite, java moss, and (naturally) duckweed.

angel_love
07-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Toddnbecka send some java moss my way please :)