PDA

View Full Version : has any one kept a zebra pleco?

genocidex
07-16-2011, 01:51 AM
i saw them and did a bit of research, just want to know it any one has kept these things before?

toddnbecka
07-16-2011, 05:20 AM
Keeping them isn't any more difficult than most other fish, clean water and proper diet. Breeding is another matter, though tank-raised stock is usually a better bet than wild-caught (if you can even find any since the ban on exporting from Brazil.) One thing to consider, they are a Hypancistrus species. I have groups of L-340 and L-333 that are quite similar, generally only see them when I strip down a tank for cleaning. Do you really want to pay the $$ for a fish you'll hardly ever see?
Personally, I prefer the L-134 leopard frog Peckoltia's. Just as pretty IMO, considerably less expensive, and easier to spawn from what I've gathered.

genocidex
07-16-2011, 01:59 PM
actually im trying to cut a deal at my lfs frank is offering me 3 of them for some volinering with their computer system (if i cant fix the issues then i get for cost and if i do he gives free) so worste case senario i think im looking at 8 bucks a fish. i was planning on putting them in with my striped raph in my 40g breeder with good night lighting, im sure id see them at night :P

toddnbecka
07-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Which species of zebra pleco is $8/each at cost? I thought you were referring to L-046; those go for $100+/each for juvies that take several years to mature.

MuckyFish
07-16-2011, 10:19 PM
I was browsing a website last night, it had zebra pleco's L46 for over $440!.
That's over 100$ an inch at full size! So i'd say you've got a deal, just make sure you fix that computer to reflect the right prices afterwards.

Christian

genocidex
07-17-2011, 12:07 AM
idk he has them labeled at zebra plecos and they look just like all the pics ive seen, hes selling them at 25 a pop normal cost ....

MuckyFish
07-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Link for reference... if you are curious.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+837+1136&pcatid=1136

And then corner the market!

If I had a setup ready to go I would but I am still in my research phase for my first tank so I probably shouldn't tackle this species yet.

Other sites have them listed for a more ?reasonable? $250.

genocidex
07-17-2011, 01:41 AM
yeah well online places seem to jack the prices on really hard to come by, where lfs needs to sell them so they are cheaper and yes i know about that saw it :P

toddnbecka
07-17-2011, 03:35 AM
Pics? If he's selling L-046 for $25/each I'll drive down asap and take all he has.

genocidex
07-17-2011, 03:58 AM
lol next time im over there if i remember ill grab a pic for ya :P

l-046 are the only ones that look like those right?

Jacko
07-17-2011, 04:01 AM
Most likely not L046, willing to bet it's a colombian zebra (L129) at that price or possibly an L199...

I'm with Toddnbecca, L134 are way cheaper and while they don't have the stark white like a zebra, yellow and black is still pretty cool.
L260 are also an awesome hypan similar to a true zebra, but I like their pattern alot more... somewhat spendier than most plecos though not as bad as L046.

genocidex
07-17-2011, 04:32 AM
the l260s are the only others might have mistaken. it was clearly black and white but i swear they look exactly like l046. TBH tho i hadnt actually seen the fish in a few months since end of may. but im in contact with frank on the phone all the time. hes my lfs when im in school cause its like 15 miles from my school and 32 from home lol. i got there between classes all the time. ill give him a call to make sure he has some in (hes offered me stock that is "planned" to come in before) and if he does ill get up there asap and snap a pic with the price :)

toddnbecka
07-17-2011, 06:03 AM
The pattern of the L-046 is distinctive, though there are a half dozen or more different species with the common name of zebra pleco. I'm not personally impressed enough with their looks or generally invisible-by-day behavior to pay the usual price for them, but would be happy to pick up a group for breeding stock if I could find them at a good price. To get them that cheap would be worth the drive from MD, though I'd have to set up yet another tank to house them or empty one that's currently stocked.

genocidex
07-17-2011, 06:16 AM
geeze if you come up from md ill even show you the way :P
when / if i find out the actual number of pleco ill let ya know and ill let ya know if any are in stock.
the time i saw them they where all out on the drift wood but thats cause he keeps his plecos in very low light tanks.