PDA

View Full Version : First SW Tank - 55g

riot
07-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Ok, So I have the tank and I am in the process of removing the trim and sanding down the sharp edges on the glass. This is my first SW adventure and it is going to be a long road of trial and I'm sure error. I am going to be drilling holes in the back glass and installing an overflow within the tank. My plans so far are two 1" holes on either side of the tank and a 6" piece of glass running the length of the inside of the tank, installed on the back glass for the overflow. This tank is nearly 20 years old and upon leak testing has no problems whatsoever. The silicone looks good as new save two or three spots. I plan on redoing the entire bottom inside seals and leaving the vertical silicone alone as it looks fine. Here are a couple pics of the first step in the process. Cleaning and removing the trim.

http://riot.netpimpz.com/images/tank1.jpg

http://riot.netpimpz.com/images/tank2.jpg

http://riot.netpimpz.com/images/tank3.jpg

sheamurai
07-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the salty side!

Love to see these threads when the tank starts from scratch!

Cliff
07-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Your going to enjoy learning about, and setting up, your first SW Tank

I would suggest drilling a little larger hole than one inch. That will fit a 3/4" bulkhead flange and a 3/4" hole would only give you around 400 GPH which can be a little low for a 55 gallon set-up. I would suggest a 2" hole for a 1.5" bulk head flange. Then you will have the option to increase or decrease your flow based on what you will need

GPH Drain Diameter size
200 0.58”
400 0.83”
600 1.01”
800 1.17”
1000 1.31”
1200 1.43”
1400 1.55”

riot
07-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Your going to enjoy learning about, and setting up, your first SW Tank

I would suggest drilling a little larger hole than one inch. That will fit a 3/4" bulkhead flange and a 3/4" hole would only give you around 400 GPH which can be a little low for a 55 gallon set-up. I would suggest a 2" hole for a 1.5" bulk head flange. Then you will have the option to increase or decrease your flow based on what you will need

GPH Drain Diameter size
200 0.58”
400 0.83”
600 1.01”
800 1.17”
1000 1.31”
1200 1.43”
1400 1.55”

Are you suggesting I drill two 2" holes? As my plan is two drill two 1" for 800 GPH. Is this sufficient?

Cliff
07-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Ah, OK, when you mentioned the two holes, I though you going to use one as a return line

riot
07-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Ahh ok. Is this what you suggest? My plan for the return lines was to have two on either side come up over the back glass.

Cliff
07-11-2011, 12:29 AM
It can be easier to have a your return line drilled. There will be a few less elbows in the line that way and you can limit the drop in GHP from your return pump.

You can still have two drain lines, I've seen a lot of set-ups with two.

If your drilling two holes, I'd drill a third for your return

riot
07-11-2011, 12:38 AM
Do you think I would get enough flow with a central return line? The plan is for two 1" holes on either end of the overflow box. With the return line needing to be drilled as well, I would have to place it in the center either below the overflow box or have two separate spill overs with the return line in the middle. What I had envisioned is a little different. I'll see if I can illustrate it on this tablet.

riot
07-11-2011, 12:45 AM
OK here you go. This is rather rudimentary but here is what I had in mind.
http://riot.netpimpz.com/images/tank.jpg

The dotted line signifies the bottom of the spillover/overflow that I will construct within the tank. The drain lines will be on either end and the returns will come up over the back glass and create flow in either direction.

Cliff
07-11-2011, 01:20 AM
That can certainy work

You would likey only need one return line as the 800 gph is not alot of flow from the drain lines. You could use a line-lock fitting at the end of a single return line to divde the flow if you would like.

Could save you on some of the plumbing work and a little $$$

riot
07-11-2011, 01:52 AM
That can certainy work

You would likey only need one return line as the 800 gph is not alot of flow from the drain lines. You could use a line-lock fitting at the end of a single return line to divde the flow if you would like.

Could save you on some of the plumbing work and a little $$$

Awesome. Thanks for the help! Learning already.

gem
08-21-2011, 05:32 AM
Are you sure that tank is going to stay together with the trim removed? I'd be a little concerned going rimless on a 55 gal tank with glass that thin. The trim keeps the glass from bowing out with the pressure of the water. Without the trim, it may put too much pressure on the silicone and eventually start leaking or even simply burst at the seams. Not dogging you.....just food for thought. Not something I would attempt.

hockeyhead019
08-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Yea I'd be slightly concerned about removing the trim also... that's just me though

As to your return lines and drain lines also keep in mind the rating of your return pump at whatever the height of your tank above the pump. I.E. a pump rated for 1200GPH will get knocked down to 800GPH at a certain height... just another thing to keep in mind

riot
08-22-2011, 11:30 AM
The trim, I'm 100% sure, is decorative only. Every side is a seperate trim piece. I have gotten as far as removing the trim, sanding down the edges of the glass and drilling the holes. Ill update the thread with pictures when I get back in town.