PDA

View Full Version : LED and plants, general questions and advice

jonny5
07-09-2011, 02:38 AM
so i have decided to go with LED lighting for my 29gallon tank but i have some general lighting questions, LED questions and need some gear advice.

First of all i should say what im looking for, Im trying to find an LED that
- gives the shimmer affect (just looks great)
- is not a DIY project, a consolidated unit or some light strips and a power supply
- capable of growing med-medhigh plants
- can have the moonlight feature
- dimming affect would be nice but not necessary
- under $150 for the whole unit (tank is 30 inches long)

So first of i looked at the marineland double bright and reef capable LED's but after much research people seem to agree that it really only works for low light plants.

So i looked at LED grow lights (more for agricultural use) and almost everything out there has a red hue to it (for the red 620-700nm spectrum i assume), but every aquarium specific LED i have seen online does not have a red hue. Now a white light look is much better but why no white grow lights for non-aquarium based units.

Also this kelvin color temp thing is a bit confusing, ive read that 5500k, 6500k, and 10000k are good for planted tanks and has the appropriate wavelength and PAR for freshwater plants, but which one is best?

So anyone have a recomendations? weather it be a full unit, a LED strip or series of strips, or a Clamp/clip on back unit?