PDA

View Full Version : Question on Amazon Sword leaves.

Strider199
07-08-2011, 11:20 PM
My two Amazon swords are getting quite large and I've noticed that the larger, older leaves are becoming almost see-through. I have pruned these type of leaves off a few times but there are still some turning that way. The plants have new growth coming and one even has a plant-let which is now planted but still attached.
I searched the forum and there was one thread on this topic but it had more to do with the plant being newly introduced.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=41396&highlight=amazon+sword+leaves

I am new to live plants (6 months) and was wondering if this is normal or am I not feeding the plants enough. I currently use Leaf Zone from API every other water change which would be every two weeks. Lighting = twin LED canopies at 6500 each.

Thoughts?

smaug
07-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Get some root tabs from either seachem or api. Insert 2 about 3 inches away from the base of each plant in the gravel.Swords pull very little nutrient from the water column and the liquid ferts do little for them.

Strider199
07-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks smaug for the reply. I was using seachem tabs when I first planted these swords but in the last month I have stopped using them and went liquid only. I think it was something I read but not sure. I will start using the tabs again around the Swords after reading your reply.

I will pick some up tomorrow after work. :22:

Strider199
07-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Just an update; I picked up a pack of Flurish tabs tonight. I can't believe how much my dog wants into that package! She acts like those tabs were her treat. Got to keep them up high. lol