PDA

View Full Version : Best Snails for Cleanup Crew

Grangers710
07-07-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm looking to get some snails, but I dont want a tank takeover from them! Im really looking for a snail that cleans up the leftovers (plant matter, food, etc) and only want to get a few. Any good recommendations?

Grangers710
07-07-2011, 05:58 PM
and yes I'm aware of the pythonfish, handfish, and razorfish (from the post from yesterday :-) )

genocidex
07-07-2011, 06:29 PM
ive read Nerite snails are great at eating algae off the tank and it is only supposed to reproduce in braskish water.

Brhino
07-07-2011, 06:31 PM
nerite snails are a good choice, genocidex is correct about the breeding. Apple snails are also a good choice - they will reproduce in freshwater, but they lay eggs in large easy-to-see clutches, so you can simply remove those if you don't want them breeding.

dragoonwoman
07-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Nerite snails are good at eating algae as well as leftover food. The best part is they need salt water for the larvae to develop, so even if you find eggs, they won't hatch/grow into a problem.

They are also very attractive snails, IMO. Check AquaBid - they have olive, zebra, tracked, red spot and corona (horned) varieties.

Edit: Looks like others beat me to it! Ah, well.