PDA

View Full Version : Co2

black_ghost
07-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Hey all.

Ive never had any luck growing plants even with regular plnt food and good lighting so ive bought a co2 thing.

I have a few questions. Ive heard that if you put too much co2 in the tank my fisg will die? Is there any kind of gauge i can buy to measure how much is goimg in?
Also do the cans come empty? Mines very lightweight. Its not cost me much so maybe have to fill it up before use?
Has any one used an erwin sanders co2 kit? The instructions are pretty vage.

Cheers for any advice, sorry if this should be in the plant section

genocidex
07-05-2011, 04:13 PM
well if the fish start gulping for air at the top then thats a bad sign, always shut off your co2 at night. are you sure you used the right plants for your equipment before? i do think the co2 canisters (if you got the refillable ones) this was the case when i ordered my paint ball guns lol

but this is just stuff ive read, never actualy used a co2 system.
lets hope the co2 is whats needed for you
gl with the plants

Angel keeper
07-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Okey co2 is good for plant health but too much can sufficate fish. Usually C02 is not needed so much for good growth, of course plants need it from photosynthesis but too much can be bad for the fish. Since you are planning to use co2 and a more powerful lighting the plants would need more nutrients than you usually will put in since the plants processes are sped up due to he extra stuff. Also turn off your co2 reactor at night since at night plants produce co2 and the large supply could easily kill off the fish.

Please note that co2 would cause the ph to drop and if this happens the sudden change could also stress and kill the fish. What you can do to help the fish's breathing if it was to go wrong is to add an airstone in the tank.

black_ghost
07-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Ok thanks. I do have a 100mm airstone, a small one and also my filter pumps air in and they run 24-7.
Ill have to get it set up over the weekend and keep my eye on it. Ive also been told that potting the plants with some fertiliser in the pots will help them grow. Is it worth getting some pots?

Cheers

Angel keeper
07-05-2011, 09:49 PM
I myself would not do potted because I like the roots to spread out as possible and runners may come off and I would like my tank to be planted all around, with potted my amazon swords' runners wont do too good. potted in my opinion is for asthetics. Main thing to just to look out for is the lighting req and ferts according to the light, more light = more fert, less light = les fert. Co2 is just a complimentary (the Co2 you add which will aid growth) since Co2 should naturally be present.

Just remember to switch the Co2 off at night thats quite important especially if your tank is heavily planted. I personally would only do Co2 if I dont have fish in my tank and i want to grow the plants for my other tanks.

black_ghost
07-10-2011, 04:39 PM
ok so ive just cleaned out my tank and set up my co2.

ive filled the cylinder up with co2 to where it tells me to. attached the air line and its bubbling away nicely.

about turning it off at night, do i just close the airline valve off? or do i have to take it all out completly?

Lady Hobbs
07-10-2011, 04:44 PM
I found that CO2 didn't help me with plant growth nearly as much as a good planting medium. Once I stopped using gravel or sand, I had a fully planted tank that needed no CO2 or very seldom even fertilizers.