PDA

View Full Version : Under-gravel filters

Nick_Pavlovski
07-26-2007, 01:36 AM
I read this thread with only passing interest at first:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=7939
until I saw that many of you say not to use undergravel filters.

I'm glad I saw this in time, becuase I'm just in the process of re-setting my 6g and it has an undergravel filter in it.
I don't really like it as it limits planting and also sucks up valuable volume that could better be used by water for fish to swim in!

I do also have some spare http://www.myshopping.com.au/ZM--29764435_Pet_Supplies
but I want to know what you all think and suggest?
Remember, 6g, not 60g!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drumachine09
07-26-2007, 01:38 AM
Depending on your stock, you could do anything from a small HOB or even a small sponge filter.

crackatinny
07-26-2007, 01:43 AM
I have a 200lph HOB on my 5G hospital tank, and it does the job, taking up next to no space.

Nick_Pavlovski
07-26-2007, 01:46 AM
I should have said - I'm going to stock with 2 Panda Cory's and 6-7 Neon Tetras.

Can you give suggested website links (and please tell me what HOB means)?

Drumachine09
07-26-2007, 01:48 AM
HOB=Hang on back.

http://www.fish.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=701009+005

Nick_Pavlovski
07-26-2007, 01:52 AM
Ah, I see!
Hadn't thought of that, always saw those as a "bigger tank" device...

crackatinny
07-26-2007, 01:55 AM
This is the one I run on mine

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod1058.htm

Fishguy2727
07-26-2007, 02:15 AM
I do not think that tank is big enough for those fish. Both should be in a school of at least 6, neither should be in a tank that small, just for the sake of swimming space as well as chemical stability. Both of those species are moderately sensitive and I do not think it will work out well for you or the fish for very long, at least not long term.

crackatinny
07-26-2007, 02:26 AM
I didn't see your post about stocking, but have to agree with fishguy, I have tried the 6 neons in a 5G, and was told on here that they need to be in a bigger tank, I could not understand why at the time, due to there size, and they seemed happy, I thought it was OK, it was only when I moved them into our community tank that I seen the difference in there behaviour, they are small, but they like room to roam.

Drumachine09
07-26-2007, 02:27 AM
You could do a shrimp tank. Shrimp are under-rated, but are actually very interesting creatures! Some plants and driftwood would look great!

Nick_Pavlovski
07-26-2007, 02:33 AM
It's the wife's tank...
I'd love shrimps but I've never done them and beleive they are hard work.

I suspect the UGF was partially responsible for the probs I had this month.

How's about the HOB you all agree to, 2-3 platies and the Pandas (she likes Panda Cory's) or, if not the platies, a male and female betta?

Or would the HOB be too powerful for the bettas?

Lady Hobbs
07-26-2007, 02:38 AM
You remove an UGF that's been in the tank a while and you've see how utterly discusting they are. They're a breeding ground for worms, ick and whatever else. I couldn't stand knowing the gunk that was under them.

Fish, no matter what kind of fish, like room. I want neons in my 10 gallon and will have them but it will only be neons.

Fishguy2727
07-26-2007, 02:40 AM
I would not recommend any fish besides a betta in less than 10 gallons. Others just need more room for swimming.

Lady Hobbs
07-26-2007, 02:47 AM
Really? Oh shoot. What do you recommend I put in my 10 gallon then? I don't want shrimp and that stuff. I don't like bugs! Just some coreys perhaps?

I was hoping alone I might get some neons to breed.

Fishguy2727
07-26-2007, 01:10 PM
10 is minimum for other stuff. So you could definitely do neons in a 10, especially if you keep up the water quality high. If I remember right, to breed neons you will probably have to have water prepared specifically for them. You will need to have a small plastic tub to let water sit (probably should keep it aerated though) and put some peat in it to soften it. Then use this soft acidic water for your water changes (at least when trying to stimulate breeding).

Barron's MiniEncyclopedia: The Tropical Aquarium has a breakdown if breeding techniques for each entry. For neon tetras it describes a standard 15 gallon breeding tank, but I think 10 will work too, with water logged peat as a substrate, java moss as a breeding media (I would go with a different fine-leafed plant to catch the eggs, java moss is hell when it gets established, and it will), a temperature of 77F, and a pH of no more than 6.0 (the peat will help with this. The sides and back should be dark, and no direct light on the tank. The problem may be raising the fry on very small life foods, but it also says that commercial fry foods can be used.

Usually one tank is used to house the adults, and a second is used for them to breed in and raise the young once the adults are returned to their main tank.