PDA

View Full Version : New Albino Bristlenose Owner

Ajones108
06-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums because I am looking for information on juvenile bristlenose plecos/albino bristles. My local Petsupermarket finally had some in stock and they are of the long-fin variety. All of them looked the same: plump around the belly, active, and all of their fins looked a little picked on. I wasn't going to discriminate, so I picked out one active one that caught my eye and brought him/her home.

He is currently living in a 10g with one young angelfish (plenty of cover for the pleco) and seem happy with his tank arrangement. I added a very minimal level of AQ salt to the tank to help with the torn fins and I am doing a water change here in a bit to lower that salt level. Tank prams were at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate yesterday.

I did more reading on ABNs yesterday and today to find out that a bigger belly isn't necessarily a good thing on this particular fish. I didn't feed him yesterday so that if he was just bloated it would go down, and I haven't fed him today. There are plenty of fallen flakes on the bottom for him to nosh on and he also has driftwood.

However, I was looking at him closer to see a small bubble underneath his belly, a yellowish bubble. It wasn't there the night I got him. Reading more, I see mixed things as to what this condition is, but no idea how to fix it or what I should do. I feel bad because I really want to give him an algae tab, but if he's bloated I don't want to overfeed him and I don't have any peas to feed him.

So, what should I do? Should I leave him be and wait until it goes away or should I feed him an algae tab and see what happens? Thanks!thumbs2:

Ajones108
07-01-2011, 06:27 PM
12 views and no replies, I'm going to assume that no one knows how to fix my problem. :help:

Cecile1
07-01-2011, 06:45 PM
It sometimes takes a while for folks to comment, I work nights, but many others work regular hours. Sometimes it may take a bit, because the folks that may know something to take a look.

I personally don't know anything about your fish or problem, but I and 11 others look just to make sure that we don't. Also if you have a problem, you may need to mention that in the title of post.

Anyway, welcome aboard

Angel keeper
07-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Hmm I dont know what the "bubble" could be, ut if it was bloated then you can try feeding peas to the BN. Try to boil the peas for a few mintues to make it sink and hopefully that would slowly making it recover from bloat. But it seems the bubble may be an unwanted growth but i am not sure.

dbosman
07-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Patience is something you will be learning if you keep plecos and want to breed them. It can be acquired at little expense or at great expense as you dump money into or at issues.

You rushed into a purchase, with little knowledge, and expect quick responses from people you have taken no time to get to know. Research should have preceded the purchase. Putting salt in a tank to help with fin damage on a pleco is just one indication that you didn't make an informed purchase.

Young plecos are more apt to die from under feeding, than over feeding. While they can act like pigs, they don't tend to bloat them selves. Algae wafers are a great thing to start the pleco on. They are generally formulated for a variety of bottom dwellers. If you read the label you will normally find the first ingredient is fish meal.
While plecos eat algae, it isn't their primary or preferred diet. They rasp at wood, covered with algae, to get the micro organisms on the wood and algae. In a new tank you don't have micro organisms on the wood for the fish to eat so you are responsible for providing a balanced diet.
Vegetables are a good supplement. A couple of slightly smashed peas will provide good food and help flush the digestive tract, if you pleco finds them and eats them.
Vegetables are best added just before lights out, and removed the next day after lights on. Some of us work so the old veggies come out when the new ones go in.

As to the bubble on your pleco, a picture would be worth more than a lot of words.

Now, regarding those flakes of food sitting on the bottom, they are rotting and contributing to ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Ammonia will kill your fish faster than starvation.

Trillianne
07-02-2011, 04:07 PM
When you say he's bloaty... does it look kind of like he could have swallowed a marble type bloaty? Or just a little pudgy?

I had one that bloated up like a little marble and though I tried to get him to veggie eat, it didn't turn out well for me. One thing I found in looking was the comment that it could have been because there was too much meat in its diet compared to veggies. The only thing I could think of was that he had eaten more of the loaches sinking wafers and remaining fish pellets instead of the algae/algae wafers.

Now it was a one time experience so I can't say that is definitively what the issue was, but something to consider.

tulip55555
07-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Cooked frozen peas with the skin peeled off. It's a good suppliment for the pleco and also helps to get "things" moving.

frank_zappa
08-11-2011, 08:29 PM
what you should do is return it...10 gallon tank is too small

es31710
11-24-2011, 05:35 AM
Will you be moving the angel into a bigger tank? Because you barely can put one angel in a 30 gallon let alone 10 gallon once full grown. And the pleco i had a pleco in my ten a clown pleco but unfortunately it dies today of an outbreak of terrible ich :( but he loved his tank as long as you have driftwood(do you?) but anyways sorry I really know what to do for your problem but just thought i would mention those things.

Ellen4God
11-24-2011, 05:40 AM
This thread is about 3 months old. :) Hopefully they've already taken care of the situation!! :)