PDA

View Full Version : Poly fill for pond use as well

smaug
06-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Ive gotten cheap in my old age it seems,and resourceful . For years I used the pond specific filter mat at an inflated price,it worked well enough but it would only last about 2 yrs before it clogged too badly to clean. End of last year I threw mine away expecting to buy new this spring,other things I wanted kept popping up so the water kept getting green and nastier. My wife had a pack of the poly fill meant for making comforters in a big king size sheet at about an inch thick.This stuff is about 8 bucks a bag. I put it in the skimmer draped over the pump about 3 wks ago and it has been working great at clearing things up,for cleaning it I remove it and drape it over my chain link fence and hose it off.It comes out very clean and traps a huge amount of junk. I could see where I may have to replace it twice a season but that is still cheaper then the stuff I was using. Actually if you were a gardner,I think use could be made of it in the soil if it were ripped up in shreds it would help retain water and if left unrinsed from its removal it would contain huge amounts of nutrients. Just a thought and a heads up for something cheaper and easier to get.

Crispy
06-27-2011, 06:59 PM
we use it in our pond's bucket-filter and it works great. I also use it in my wet/dry sump. very cheap solution and one I will always use.

we change out the poly in the pond twice a season. I change the wet/dry poly every 6 weeks approx.

there's a fabric store near me which sells the flat poly (looking more like a filter sponge) and I prefer it to the big bunches (used for pillows, quilts, etc)

but overall, great stuff! :fish:

Furface
07-02-2011, 05:40 PM
I have a good quality filter mat that is maybe an inch thick, made up of artificial fibers that is still going strong after 10 years. I flush it with a hose both directions and it has yet to stay clogged or start to fall apart. It came with the more expensive Savio waterfall filter. The media is made up of a zillion feet of thin plastic ribbon. All is still going strong. I guess the point is that sometimes a few extra bucks up front can often save lots of putzing and bucks through the years.