PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog Pleco trouble

Monkeyhair
06-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Hello,

I bought today an Even Spotted Synodontis and put him in my tank along with my Bulldog Pleco, ever since I released him the Bulldog Pleco has been constantly chasing him, charging him into ornaments and one time tried to pin him down. My tank is 125 litres with 3 Mollies, 2 Bala Sharks and 6 Glowlight Tetras and he doesn't seem to bother with those.

Why is he doing this and is there anything I can do to make him calm down?

Thanks
Tom

ekfishlover2011
08-25-2011, 10:32 PM
rubbernose plecos, a.k.a bulldog plecos, are supposedly aggressive as they get older, and hes also probably territorial over his claimed tank spots that are ideal for a pleco, and wants to show his authority. Id let it go, but keep a close eye on it. My male gourami was very aggressive when i added a second gourami last week, but given time to adjust, hes fine with the other now. But if it gets bad id try to take the new one back if possible, or put it in a different tank. Hope this helped!

Strider199
08-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Plus1 to the above post, ekfishlover2011 thumbs2:

Melody
08-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Mine was never aggressive with other species, but I've read that they're aggressive with their own species.

You can try rearranging the tank and making sure there is a cave on each side so they can establish their own territory.

Good luck!

Lady Hobbs
06-30-2013, 08:00 PM
To add: You can not keep bala sharks in 33 gallon tanks. Take them back as well as the Synodontis. Bala's are nuts, extreme swimmers and jumpers and grow to one foot. A few of them in 300 + tanks will work but not much of anything smaller. You need no more bottom feeders since you have the bulldog.

KingFisher
06-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Lol LH, how did you stumble upon this gem? It is nearly two years old.

ijankrom
07-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Yeah I on a few ocassions have replied to a message and then only after realize how old the latest thread was and go "doh".