PDA

View Full Version : What is this, the sequel!

coachfraley
07-25-2007, 05:49 AM
Kuli, you won't believe this story,

Today I went to my LFS to pick up some more LR for my display, and while I was picking through the rocks I was thinking about your clam...and then I look and I see a rock that looks like a huge clam. It is the classic clam shape and it had a seem running all the way around. So I buy the rock for $3 and race home and put it in my tank. At first I thought maybe I was wrong, and it was just a rock, but about half an hour later, it started to open up and I took this pic.

I don't know if anyone can ID it, but I would sure like to know what it is.

http://www.cshm.org/images/fraley/clam.jpg

My bumblebee snail was nice enough to pose on top of it, so you can get a size comparison. It weighed 3/4 of a lb.

Drumachine09
07-25-2007, 05:51 AM
The latest peice i bought looks like a clam too!

But its just a rock :(

That is an AMAZING coincidence though!

unleashed
07-25-2007, 05:53 AM
i have a good feeling that it might be a dead barnancle. if you can get a closer shot, it would be much easier to ID

EDIT:

Oooops, my bad. just seen it. i thought that the arrow was pointing to the dead barnacle on top. it doesn't look like a clam - more like an oyster. While diving at racha yai in phuket, those clams were in all of the rock structures. I highly doubt that the rock collectors could seperate the clam from the interior of the rock

coachfraley
07-25-2007, 05:58 AM
Are you looking at the right thing?

http://www.cshm.org/images/fraley/clam2.jpg

coachfraley
07-25-2007, 06:02 AM
would an oyster be reef safe????

unleashed
07-25-2007, 09:35 AM
when i looked at the 'organism' a second time, then i saw the mouth pointed out in pic 2 - hence why i edited the post :)

As far as your second question goes - i wouldn't have a clue. I know that there are tropical oysters. wouldn't know if they were reef safe though

TowBoater
07-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Lol, what color is it inside? Mine is red with white stripes inside were it don't want to open up, only a slit will open and he makes it look like he is sucking in water so I guess he is feeding.

Fishguy2727
07-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Most tanks are too clean for most filter feeders, especially clams. You will probably need to feed it or else it will just end up dying in a few weeks. There is a product called Marine Snow that I heard was really good for feeding filter feeders. There are special feeding tools that have a little plastic needle on the end and is like a long, thin syringe. There are many other products that could also be used.

kkyyllee
07-25-2007, 05:30 PM
yeah, make sure you feed it

2manyfish
07-25-2007, 05:53 PM
100% reef safe unless it dies! :ezpi_wink1:

Another clam....that is so unusual and quite a find!!