PDA

View Full Version : Malawi bloat?

jessie
07-25-2007, 01:22 AM
I have a red zebra male (the dominant male in the tank) who appears to have a bad case of bloat. His abdomen is huge and he hasn't been eating well for the past week. After reading up on this, it sounds like once they get to this point, they cannot be saved. Anybody have any luck treating this? Also, sounds like this is largely a dietary thing. I've been feeding New Life Spectrum with Spirulina/Algae flakes several times a week. They fast one day a week (to prevent this very thing from happening....). I've been doing about a 50% water change at least every two weeks (I know shoudl probably be weekly). I run about 3 times the filtration required for this tank. So what's your thoughts on why he got this? Stress? Not enough water changes? Also read it could be parasites and the others may catch it as well.

Drumachine09
07-25-2007, 01:25 AM
Try feeding boiled shelled peas. Maybe that will clear him up.

You arent feeding any meaty foods are you?

jessie
07-25-2007, 01:28 AM
i thought about the pea method, but he won't come up to the top to feed anymore. He has lost all interest in feeding. I think he's doomed.

No, I never feed anything like frozen/live foods or really high protein foods. I try to give them stuff like green leaf lettuce or some other vegetable once a week. I think I'll fast the whole tank for several days in case I have been overfeeding to let the others work it out of their system.

sergo
07-25-2007, 12:39 PM
i've tried fasting my guys too but they end up turning my anacharis into anacharastem. good luck.

jessie
07-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Well, as expected the fish died today. I still don't know why he got it, but I have to say the tank is a lot more peaceful now. There is no longer any competition between him and the male Kenyi for dominant male of the tank.

sergo
07-26-2007, 05:29 PM
bummer, sorry to hear that. any plans to replace?

tropfish
07-26-2007, 05:55 PM
sorry to hear about you fish.

jessie
07-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Since my yellow labs are breeding at the speed of light, and my female Kenyi is holding again too, i won't be buying any replacements.

sergo
07-26-2007, 09:11 PM
don't blame you either. they'll take care of the replacements for you.

Fishguy2727
07-26-2007, 09:15 PM
That may be the cause, the struggle for dominance. It is not the usual cause, but stress weakens the immune system and opens them up to problems. Something that did not have an opportunity to take hold before, all of a sudden has a chance when the fish is stressed.