PDA

View Full Version : Male or female BN

Kodgeman
06-21-2011, 02:52 AM
I picked up my first pleco, a BN, in April. I was told by the LFS that it was a male, as the bristles were beginning to grow.

It is about four to four and a half inches long. The bristles are small, a few milimetres long, around the edge of the nose area. One is branched.

I am beginning to wonder if he could actually be a she as I have read that females often have small bristles.

At what age/size are males when the bristles actually start to grow and become prominent? I've seen some pictures where they seem to be considerably smaller than mine.

And what age, approximately, would a four and a half inch BN be?

Thanks for any insight!

Brhino
06-21-2011, 02:59 AM
mine started growing bristles at the 3" mark or so.

My understanding is that females can either have no bristles, or can have small bristles around the sides of the pleco's face. Mature males will also have bristles running up the nose pointing upwards on top of the head.

toddnbecka
06-21-2011, 04:40 AM
Age and size aren't necessarily the same between different individual fish, but at 4.5" it's certainly mature enough to spawn. I've never seen a female with branched bristles, just very short ones around the edge of the nose, none up the center.

TazManiac
06-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Definitely sounds male to me.

Would be more definite if you could post a pic.