PDA

View Full Version : Columbian Shark Catfish - What do I feed them?

thebutcher
06-21-2011, 01:06 AM
I plan on getting 2 or 3 of these. They will be around 2.5" - What should I feed them?

Cliff
06-21-2011, 01:10 AM
From what I have read, they are a Brackish fish that can get over 14" in lenght. You would need one very large aquarium for 2 of them. I would guess closer to a 200 gallon aquarium but I'm not 100%

From what I read, sinking cat-fish pellets are the most common food.

Brhino
06-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Cliff's right. Are you sure you understand what you're getting into with these? If you don't even know what to feed them, I wonder if you have planned for their huge adult size and brackish/marine requirements.

skullduggery1
06-21-2011, 02:54 AM
You asked what do I feed them,well anything they want.:18: Here's the thing they are peaceful with anything that doesn't fit into there mouths,but need brackish water(Some arius catfish need salt water period) when adult.It is a no brainer as far as why they are called shark catfish,as they circle around the tank and have a high fin,but also they like small groups and is said to release a anti- coagulant into the water.but mainly they eat dead animal matter.There is two species with different color edging to the fins that swim far into the amazon waters and tributaries,also deep into costa rica's three large principal rivers,(Or so I read).

MCHRKiller
06-21-2011, 03:12 AM
I kept 3 of these when I had a 125G brackish setup...they are very large, very active, predatory brackish catfish. They will eat anything that will fit in their mouth, large sinking pellets, chopped up fresh seafood, frozen food, etc. They can in some instances grow to around 16"...mine were right around 12-13" and quite bulky. They must have a 6ft tank and a 72x18" foot print is as small as they should be kept in. They do well with large Scats, Archers, and Monos. Like most brackish fish they do oK in FW for a short period of time...however by adulthood their SG should be between 1.015-1.018, at the size you mention they should be starting to acclimate into a mild brackish water of 1.005.