PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Angels?

TowBoater
07-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I have 4 very young angels. They are about quarter size. I have 2 silver veil angels, 1 silver angel, and one marble angel. Will they interbreed and how long will it take them to breed?

Lady Hobbs
07-24-2007, 11:25 PM
Angels will start picking a mate rather soon. Easy to tell as they will not want others around them and chase them away. Breeding in earnest at about 6-7 months. And then every 3 weeks.

Lady Hobbs
07-25-2007, 12:01 AM
I noticed some brown algae on my glass today so without thinking, grabbed some paper towel and had my hand in the tank to wipe the glass. All of a sudden.....bam!......here comes that female angel. She just had her spawn 2 days ago and I had forgotten all about it.

Can't believe I forgot those eggs!

TowBoater
07-25-2007, 03:35 AM
One of my veils and one normal stay together quite a bit and my other veil and regular marble go off alone more.

Lady Hobbs
07-25-2007, 03:45 AM
They are probably forming a bond already. I swear I have wigglers tonight but mine just spawned Sunday night and I think it takes 3 days. Maybe my plant light sped things up. I doubt it but the eggs are no longer just sitting there but there's a bunch of movement.

I haven't had a spawn yet that either all the eggs died or the mother ate them. This time she has only eaten the dead eggs.

This is a write up I did some time ago if you want to read it.

Raising Angel Fry Away from the parents

Itís easier to place a mating pair in a 20-30 gallon (bare bottom) tank and remove the pair when they have spawned. But if not, you can move the eggs to another tank and leave the parents as they are.

Here are some steps to hatching them yourself...

You will need an air stone, heater, air pump & you will also need a "seeded" sponge filter.
Have a "bare bottom" (no gravel) tank prepared with treated tap water. Remove spawning material/eggs with some water from tank. Be sure not to expose to air. Slowly place spawn slate (or whatever the eggs were laid on) in corner of tank slanted as they were spawned. Make sure temp's are the same from tank just moved from. Preferably 80 -82 degrees). Place air stone 1 -2 inches from eggs so as to circulate oxygen over eggs. Add either methylene blue ( enough drops to turn water deep blue) or hydrogen peroxide (3%) - 1 capful per five gallons. as an anti-fungus agent.

To note: If eggs are left with parents, you do not do this as the parents will remove the fungus themselves.

Some eggs will turn white regardless...those are the unfertile eggs. On day two..your eggs will become wigglers. (you'll see tiny little tails from the eggs) Some may drop to the floor of tank. That is when you begin your water changes of 25% with treated water. Be careful to siphon water out slowly..and add same temp water back in. On day five - seven your wigglers should become free-swimming at which point you will need to feed them newly hatched baby brine shrimp. You will also need to start running your "seeded" sponge filter at that time. Keep doing daily water changes & wiping bottom of tank clean after each feeding 3 x a day. You can wipe down bottom with a scrunched paper towel...just go slow as to not get any fry.

If you have no slate for spawning, PVC slanted in the corners works well for them. Without it, they will spawn on the sides of the tank, uplift filter or on broad leafed plants making it harder to move the eggs.

Parents will spawn again in two to three weeks. J

Drumachine09
07-25-2007, 03:46 AM
They are probably forming a bond already. I swear I have wigglers tonight but mine just spawned Sunday night and I think it takes 3 days. Maybe my plant light sped things up. I doubt it but the eggs are no longer just sitting there but there's a bunch of movement.

I haven't had a spawn yet that either all the eggs died or the mother ate them. This time she has only eaten the dead eggs.

Maybe this will be the time!

Lady Hobbs
07-25-2007, 03:50 AM
Maybe this will be the time!

Speedy, aren't ya? I didn't even have the post finished yet. :hmm3grin2orange:

Drumachine09
07-25-2007, 03:51 AM
Speedy, aren't ya? I didn't even have the post finished yet. :hmm3grin2orange:

I accesed your brain and knew you were going to say it.

Yea, im that good :28:

Now if i could only find an article like that for severums, id be set.

TowBoater
07-25-2007, 03:54 AM
So my spare 5 gallon hex would work fine if I transported the eggs to it or can I hatch the eggs in my 55 and net the fry and place in another tank?

KazAngel
12-20-2007, 01:37 AM
I have been trying to breed my Angels for some time now. I have a pair of Silvers and they will lay eggs approximately every 1 1/2 weeks. I wanted the parents to bring up the eggs but that just wasn't happening after several unsuccessful attempts the parents keep eating them just before they hatched. So now that I have a spare hex tank I put the eggs in there at the same temp as the other tank there is a sponge fillter and no light, an air pump that I had placed near but not under the eggs. Over night they all turned white this is even worse than when the parents look after them. And I felt soooo mean. When I went to grab the plant the eggs were on they attacked me then they were desperately trying to get to thier eggs I put some food in to distract them but it didn't work now I just feel like a big meany!!

mitcore
12-20-2007, 02:08 AM
howdy
i understand how frustrating this is i have been there

this is what i have learnt hopefully it will help you

firstly are you sure you have a male and female pair?
sometimes 2 females can pair up and they will still lay but without the male the eggs are not fertilized,

secondly if they are a new proven male female pair they will eat the eggs for a few reasons,
1: they are not sure what to do with them
2: they are not fertilized
3: they are protecting them and would rather eat them then leave them to a threat even if they are in thier own tank they will do this, they think you are a threat,

to fix number 3 i put a cover on the front of the tank so they feel safe and it seems to work fine for me

the eggs that are fertilzed are usually brown in colour and the white ones are not and they will eat them,

i currently have hatched 6 sucessful batches and have 70 fry at the moment

i would recommend a 10 % water change daily and i would also suggest you cover the front of the tank, i know it is hard but after the hatch the first batch it is on. and the parents can raise the fry on their own the down fall with this is that the fry will eat the next batch of eggs that they lay and inturn can weaken the parents to a dangerous zone where they can die

i would recommend either leaving them with the parents til the get bigger or transfer the fry to a grow out tank

hang in there all is not lost
it will happen

KazAngel
12-22-2007, 05:15 AM
yes I am positive I have a male and female their "bits" are different. A few turn white but mostly they stay an almost browny colour they tend to get eaten right before they should hatch. It could be what you said about them feeling threatend as they were in a community tank.
1) How long before spawning begins should I move the parents to the breeding tank.
2) After the eggs have been laid and fertilised when should I remove the parents? 1-2 days, straight away?
3) Once the fry are free swimming what should I feed them?
4) Do you recommend using methylene blue?

Lots more questions I know sorry again:help:

mitcore
12-22-2007, 07:28 AM
1) i would leave them permentally in the breeding tank they will settle in and start breeding when they are happy, i would also leave the parents with the eggs, the parent will eat the slim off the fertilized eggs only, they ones they dont clean they will eventually eat, and then leave them there after the hatching with the fry
2) i wouldnt move the parents they are very good a raising fry they care for them and help them find food,
3) yes, the fry will eat a few things fry food which you can get from the LFS, crushed flake and slim on the tank, i know it sounds funny but they love the stuff
4) no, i dont only because i know how good angels are for caring for the eggs and their fry, they can care for them for up to 10 weeks then you will need to move to a grow out tank,

keep in mind they will eat the eggs until they are happy that they are not threatened, this is why i strongly advice you leave the breeding pair in their own tank all the time and cover the tank when they have eggs, it will increase your chance on getting a hatching, they will spawn about every 1 and 1/2 to 2 weeks, only if they are settled and happy,

hope this helps good luck i will watch this thread to see if i can help you some more

i know it seems funny to what i said in the top post but i am only trying to give you the best advice i can this is 2 ways of doing it

i use this way in this post i have not moved my 70 fry to a grow out tank yet and i am looking at doing that in 8 to 9 weeks time, my parents are doing a very good job of looking after the fry. i am very proud LOL

here is a pic of my angel parents and the fry
the fry are in between them they look like dots sorry about that the pic was taken by a mobile phone

KazAngel
01-06-2008, 03:07 AM
Thanks sooo much I did what you said and it worked like a charm!! Ive got little specs swimming allover the place now i can't belive how small they are its amazing!!!thumbs2:

mitcore
01-06-2008, 06:32 AM
your welcome and congrats to the fry, keep it covered and let the parents raise them, dont forget 10% water changes daily and check the bucket before you empty it if there is fry in there just suck it up in a tube and then spit it back in the tank

well done and congrats

Tigerbarb
01-21-2008, 01:28 AM
I have heard that Angels spawn mostly in more acidic water, so maybe they will breed if you don't do a water change for a while.

mitcore
01-22-2008, 12:41 AM
not really i have mine at 7.0 and i have lots of spawing and fry