PDA

View Full Version : Bogwood or Driftwood for ABN Pleco?

fishnewbie1
06-19-2011, 02:40 PM
I think I'm going to add an ABN pleco to the tank to help combat the little algae growth on the plants and tank walls from indirect sunlight.

I've read these are pretty much to only plecos that won't uproot and destroy our plants.

I've read on this site to give them bogwood, other sites say driftwood. I don't think I'll mind the tannins/discoloration in the tank, saw some at the LFS and it wasn't off-putting. The pleco will be in a tank with 21 serpae tetra, I have 2 caves in there now that are a nice size for it to hide when I get it.

What are your experiences with one vs the other? Do your BN plecos favor one over the other if you have both kinds?

It's still 2-3 weeks before we add it, but I'd like to get the wood sooner than later and have it soaking in the tank for a couple weeks. We have an AC70, removed the carbon and added another bag of biomax, but like I said I won't mind the color so don't need it to clear the water up.

Brhino
06-19-2011, 02:44 PM
the worlds "driftwood" and "bogwood" are used interchangeably and often inaccurately, to the point that there's hardly a distinction. Get something that you like the looks of. As long as it's labelled "for aquarium use" it'll be fine.

gm72
06-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Agreed with Brhino. My BN likes the Mopani wood I have in his tank.

gadget228
06-19-2011, 02:55 PM
+1 on the Mopani, I have 7 pieces of it divided between four tanks and my pleco's love it... thumbs2:

Cliff
06-19-2011, 03:15 PM
As Brhino already stated, make sure it is aquarium safe

Some stores also carry wood meant to used in terrariums, which most of it is not safe for use in a aquariums

fishnewbie1
06-19-2011, 03:25 PM
I'll double check for sure, the first two caves I grabbed were at the end of the aisle, and I didn't see the little sign that said "terrarium decor" but I put them back and grabbed aquarium ones.

I was under the assumption driftwood is from a saltwater source, and the high levels of salt the wood absorbs makes it more buoyant where as bogwood is from a freshwater source and the minerals it absorbs make it more dense and more likely to sink.

I'll have to poke around at a couple stores and see what catches me eye. I'll google Mopani and see if they have it anywhere local.

Thanks!