PDA

View Full Version : How to make intense aquarium?

ShamuKid
06-18-2011, 05:25 AM
Okay this might sound weird but.... I have recently visited a bunch if aquariums, and seen lot's of tank ideas I like. I think the best design I like is one where (I will try to explain my best) it is rock on 3 sides, with glass (actually, the lady said it was acrylic) in the front. It was against a wall, and there were two other tanks on both sides. I'm looking to just make the one, and put it like in between two walls, so it might get long. Money and space are not an issue for me, but I would like to do most of it myself. I am a person that likes to make things by himself, but I know that I might have to get most of the supplies from other places, just want to put it together myself. So I have a couple of questions:

1: How do I make the rock? It was really cool and pretty rock, and I know it was fake. I'm guessing I might have to buy it or have someone install it or soething.

2: How do I get the glass to stay in? I'm thinking having a little notch of rock come out from both ends, (like in the aquarium) and have a slit in between the rock, just big enough to slide the glass into. And then like do I put cocking or silicone (I hope you get what I mean, spell check does not look right, sylicone maybe?) on both sides of the glass, all around it?

I saw this tank at the Denver Aquarium, in the rain forest area if anyone's been there. I will try to post pictures.

Thanks! I know this is kinda crazy!! :)

ShamuKid
06-18-2011, 05:46 AM
Here's a photo of the tank, the best one I could find, it's to the left, with the old guy.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=114583180147&set=a.114582150147.129389.112699760147&type=1

Crispy
06-18-2011, 05:57 AM
look into doing a custom plywood tank build with a DIY 3d background. you would build the tank out of plywood, seal the inside with liquid rubber or epoxy, then install the viewing window, then make a 3d background to your liking. it's a helluva project, but can be done easy with the proper research.

Spidyman
06-18-2011, 08:35 AM
I would buy a tank then do as shown below, dont have to do kitty litter are gravel though. I did it and it was easy and kind of fun.
http://youtu.be/Es76DnaQDwI