PDA

View Full Version : 25" Arowana jumped out of tank!

Demjor19
06-18-2011, 04:47 AM
I was just feeding the predatory comm. tank and my Silver Arowana got overly excited as usual and jumped out of the tank while trying to eat a smelt. She ended up falling about 4' to the floor where she flopped for a short while (felt like forever) while I scrambled for a towel to pick her up with.

Just a note...It's a waste of time trying to pick a fish this size up without a wet towel. They are simply too strong and slimy to hang onto.

She is back in the tank and looks okay...A little scraped up and breathing heavily, but doesn't look to be injured. The part that worries me is that I leave for a vacation in a few hours...Bad timing for this to happen! I think I am going to have someone stop by to check on her a few times while I'm away...Just for piece of mind. I raised her from 1.5" long...I would just be sick if something happened to her!

I'll keep you updated.

Crispy
06-18-2011, 05:53 AM
damn.... while mine has yet to jump out, I know how ya feel. at least once a week mine jumps and splashes bigtime. hope all turns out well and at least you were home when it happened. your aro is a beauty and I'd hate to see anything bad happen to it.

Kay3707
06-18-2011, 06:05 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. Hope all turns out well:ssmile:

Demjor19
06-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks.

Yeah, it's normal for her to splash (she got water on the ceiling once) and she has even jumped out twice (during tank upgrades), but this was the biggest fall I have ever seen a fish take. This morning she still looks a little labored and she gulped air twice that I've seen (she never does this). I really hope she's okay while I'm away.

smaug
06-18-2011, 11:29 AM
That would be a sick feeling for sure. I hope all turns out well.

Lady Hobbs
06-18-2011, 11:39 AM
I think I'd put a board on top the tank while you're away just to ease your mind.

Aeonflame
06-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Man that must've been heartstopping. What sort of lid do you have on that tank?

Northernguy
06-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Good Luck Demjor.:11:
I know how you feel about your pets.
That is one of the reasons I hate going away.Something always seems to happen around the house with either my pets or kids,neighbors.........just before we leave.
Have a good trip! lol I am sure the arowana will be fine,they are tough fish.Does your fish sitter have any experience with your fish?

teddscau
06-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Hope she didn't break anything or got internal bleeding. Hopefully she's not too heavy either. The lighter she is the less injured she'd probably be. Hope she's okay. I've never had a fish jump out but I was at Big Al's once when a saltwater fish (the germaphobe from Finding Nemo) flew out of one of the tanks. No idea how that happened. I could see any openings it could have jumped through. It was pretty much completely enclosed. The fishy was okay though. The only experience I've had with a fish on the floor would be when I was moving my glass cats from the quarantine tank to the main tank. One jumped out of the net while I was taking it out of the bag. I think I had to slide a piece of paper under it because it was impossible to pick up. It was okay though and it's still fine. Scary though.

Anyways, hope she makes it.

Demjor19
06-26-2011, 05:36 AM
I'm back and she seems to be fine. What a relief! thumbs2:

Just to clarify...This tank has BIG fish and equally BIg lids. I had custom 1/4" thick tempered glass lids fabricated just for these fish. They will NEVER come off from a fish hitting them. This accident happened while I was feeding them...Therefore the lids were not on the tank. She just got excited and launched herself out of the tank while chasing food (if you own an Arowana you'll understand).

Thanks for the support all!

Northernguy
06-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Real glad to hear the good news!thumbs2:

DemonShark
07-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Oh jeez thats got to be scary!

Demjor19
07-19-2011, 12:28 PM
So...I was cleaning the Arowana tank two nights ago and she did it again!!! What is with her??? This time she went over the back of the tank and got trapped between the wall and tank! I had to use a golf putter to pull her out! She got a little banged up and gave me a quarter sized scale as a souvenir. She did decide to eat after I was finished with the water change, so she must not have been as traumatized as me once this was all done!!?? I was also netting chuncks of slimy cat fur out of the tank for the following hour or so...She'll be the death of me yet!

Spidyman
07-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Wow that would freak me out. I'm just glad to here it is alright.

Cyberra
07-28-2011, 05:07 AM
...Chunks of slimy cat fur?

Demjor19
07-28-2011, 10:05 PM
...Chunks of slimy cat fur?

Yes! The fish acted as a dust mop while it was on the floor and picked up a ton of cat hair! It was gross and required quite a bit of cleaning afterwards.

bignellm
07-29-2011, 03:13 AM
Not to make light. But is anyone playing R. Kelly around this fish? You know, "I believe I can fly"?

Kinda makes me wonder if the fish is trying to tell you something. Like I want a bigger tank? I hope this stops soon. A heart can only take so many shocks, the fish and YOURS. Praying for you.

Demjor19
07-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Not to make light. But is anyone playing R. Kelly around this fish? You know, "I believe I can fly"?

Kinda makes me wonder if the fish is trying to tell you something. Like I want a bigger tank? I hope this stops soon. A heart can only take so many shocks, the fish and YOURS. Praying for you.

Both of her jumps were triggered by me. Once was excitement during a feeding (she actually left the tank in an attempt to grab food that was not yet in the tank) and the most recent time was from me spooking her while i was cleaning. I don't think there is any hidden message behind it...She is just a very excitable fish.

bignellm
07-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Like a puppy when it's owner comes home excitable?
Food!!!!! HEY?!?!?!?! etc...
Sounds like an interesting personality in the fish.

Cyberra
07-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Yes! The fish acted as a dust mop while it was on the floor and picked up a ton of cat hair! It was gross and required quite a bit of cleaning afterwards.
XD That makes sense... I was going to ask if a cat had decided to take a dip in your fish tank