PDA

View Full Version : new ghost tank questions

knightnurse14
06-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Hi guys. Don here, I'm a newbie to shrimp.
I have a 75 gallon community tank with Sunburst Platys, a pair of Cory cats, a pair of Bettas a big old Pleco, a Clown Loach "didn't know better" and about 15 ghost shrimp
This tank has been established for a year and has no problems, no deaths.
Here is my situation. I wanted to see the Ghost shrimp better and figured they would be more active if I put them in a new tank without fish. Previously they pretty much hid in the artificial grass.
I moved my 15 ghost shrimp to a new 29 gallon tank today, moved plenty of the gravel substrate from my 75 gallon tank along with 10 gallons of water from the community tank, put in a heater to keep temp at 76 degrees and there is a hang on tank power filter and a dinky little flourescent light.
Here is my question.
Since the bioload of the shrimp is so small and I moved a couple of inches of established gravel substrate with this tank cycle?
Also should I just plan on 10% water changes every other day or so for the first month just to protect against problems potential to a cycle? I really like my little Ghosties and don't want to lose them.
Thanks
don

Spidyman
06-16-2011, 10:32 PM
I would just watch water peramaters and do water changes when needed. Or you could do 40% wc every few day to be safe.