PDA

View Full Version : The Kribs have moved in!

kebuchan
07-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi all,

I just got a pair of kribensis yesterday. I'm hoping to span them. Put them in their own 10g, with a couple of caves (terracotta pots), a few shells and fine gravel. I have a power filter and aeration stone but I'm not sure if I should be running them. The filter was running before the kribs were put in there but then I turned it off.

For about an hour they swam around the tank, going in and out of the caves. Then they both disappered in one of the caves, didn't see them again. About 2am I took a walk by their tank and one of them was outside, was the same at 6am, the one was outside. I think the female has been in there since last evening.

I'm not 100% sure they're a pair. The LFS that sold them to me said they were but after I brought them home, they look like they're both male.

If they are both male (or female) would they be hanging out in the cave together?

Could they already have started up something.... "moving in together", even though it was a few hours since I put them in the tank?

I guess time will tell, it as just odd that they're already in the cave. Should I be turning the filter on?.. would the vibration and flowing water interfere with their activities?

Thanks!

Kevin

55g: 3 Balas, 6 cherry barbs, 2 American Flags, 1 SAE, 1 Sailfin Molly
10g: Mr & Mrs Krib
10g: Green tree froglets (pre-shock pool rescued tadpoles)

Spyder
07-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi Kevin, congrates on your purchase, Kribs are wonderful fish. My first question is weather or not your tank is cycled? The filter must be turned on, besides filtering the water the water movement will oxginate the water and the fish need oxigen to survive. If you have 2 of the same sex you may be in trouble in such a small tank, can you post pics of them, if not I can post pics showing the difference and you should be able to tell them apart.

kebuchan
07-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Yes, the tank is cycled. The filter was running, I thought I should stop it if I planned on these fish spawning. All my past experience has been with nest blowing gourami-type fish and this filter would disrupt the whole process. I might want to get a smaller sponge filter as opposed to the power filter that I have right now.

The problem with sexing them right now is they've always been hiding in one of the caves.. together. One is leaner and has less pink on it's belly, it was the one (male I assume) that was outside the cave for most of the night.

I'll try and get some pics when I get home tonight and post them. I don't want to stress them out though, if they're in the cave or under one of the shells, I'll just have to wait..

If they are two of the same sex, one's going back to the store because the guy guaranteed me a pair.

Thanks,

Kevin