PDA

View Full Version : hi please help icy icy

moose
07-24-2007, 02:06 PM
just need to no does it matter if u use the medication for white spot if the fish doesnt have it.

RobbieG
07-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Depends on what kind of fish some are sensitive to it - did you use a medication that instructed you to remove the carbon from your filter?

If you did just reinstall it and it will remove the medication from the water

If not do a few extra water changes this week to get rid of it

moose
07-25-2007, 12:58 PM
thanks for that.
i have got a 4ft tank with
4 clown loaches
3 bolivian butterflys
1 german blue ram
2 gouramis
2 sucking catfish

hungryhound
07-25-2007, 01:06 PM
As a general Rule loaches are a scaleless fish, and very sensitive to medicine. IF possible you will want to remove the loaches from the tank being medicated( ideally move the sick fish to their own tank and medicate them). However if this is not possible, you should cut the recommended dose of the medicine down by 50% .

RobbieG
07-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Given that you have loaches in the tank I would take steps to remove the medicine from the water immediately if I were you.

Reinstall the carbon /add carbon to the filter and do a largish water change

gm72
07-26-2007, 12:52 AM
just need to no does it matter if u use the medication for white spot if the fish doesnt have it.

Wait a minute, if I am reading this post correctly the question is if it is okay to use medicine even if the fish isn't infected? Maybe we are talking about a single fish in a community tank?

crackatinny
07-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Wait a minute, if I am reading this post correctly the question is if it is okay to use medicine even if the fish isn't infected? Maybe we are talking about a single fish in a community tank?

I read it the same way LOL.

If it is not infected, why would you treat it?

Or have you done it by accident?

MeganL3985
07-26-2007, 02:22 PM
I think maybe he's trying to say one or some of his fish have it, but some others don't. Like you said, treating in a community tank.

I personally would not treat a fish for ich if it doesn't have it. My Betta just got over it actually. Do you have a hospital tank, or is there a way you can treat just the fish that do?

Lady Hobbs
07-26-2007, 02:29 PM
The whole tank should be treated for ICK since it multiplies after falling from the fish. Fish not affected that are sensitive to meds should be removed if at all possible. IF you have scaleless fish and removing them is not possible or if they also have ICK, use half dose of meds.

RobbieG
07-26-2007, 02:32 PM
I thought he meant that he had either accidently put the medication in the tank or used it and it turned out the fish weren't sick.

MeganL3985
07-27-2007, 12:42 AM
Ohhh that makes better sense, do kind of a reversal hospital tank. Take the other fish out and treat the big tank :)

moose
07-27-2007, 02:47 PM
robbi g ur the man ,u hit the nail on the head.i did exactly what u said .but since then i have changed the water and i only used 50 % of the normal dose.and everything is going fine,finger crossed.and thanks for all that extra information u guys r sick.lol all

RobbieG
07-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Glad it worked out for you!