PDA

View Full Version : What is up with my pleco?

battlehawk77
06-13-2011, 01:14 PM
So, just now, my auto feeder dispensed it's normal ration of food, and everyone went nuts feeding. One resident I didn't expect to see react was my 4" pleco. However, I just watched them swimming upside down and eating food flakes off the surface of the water. Are they trying to tell me there isn't enough algae in the tank or are they just bored?

Dave66
06-13-2011, 01:21 PM
It's exactly that: there's not enough proper food for the pleco, so it's doing that upside-down feeding strategy to get something to eat.

Dave

Brhino
06-13-2011, 01:53 PM
have you been feeding the pleco anything? You do need to offer them food, they're not likely to get enough to eat just from algae alone. That's something I didn't realize when i first got my pleco.

mommy1
06-13-2011, 02:00 PM
what kind of pleco do you have? not all are vegetarian, some are omnivorous.

Lady Hobbs
06-13-2011, 02:09 PM
He needs food now and then, too. Stick a fork in a slice of cucumber of zucchini and drop it in the tank for ONE day. Algae pellets now and then, spirulina flakes or pellets, too.

battlehawk77
06-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Yeah, I do drop an algae wafer in once every six or seven days, but I'm not sure how much he's getting of it, as my SAEs tend to come find it.
I will try some sliced zucchini or cucumber, too.

He is your standard 4" pleco. I've attached a picture of him and my male betta, Erik.

toddnbecka
06-14-2011, 05:23 AM
Not the best pic to judge by, but the pleco does look thin.

battlehawk77
06-16-2011, 03:14 PM
I will own to that picture being kind of old. I took it the day I got him, which was a few months ago.
I am curious as to how one would blanch cucumber slices. I know they need to be boiled for a short time, but I'm nit sure how long. And, as for the thickness, I guess I could just experiment until I find one that last not quite 24 hours.

Brhino
06-16-2011, 03:40 PM
I feed my pleco raw cucumbers and zucchini, he eats them just fine without any blancing.

DylanisHawttt
06-16-2011, 05:29 PM
I
I am curious as to how one would blanch cucumber slices. I know they need to be boiled for a short time, but I'm nit sure how long.

I looked up the process on how to blanch cucumber slices. Firstly cut the slices and put them into boiling water (this starts the 'cooking' process). Let them float around for 30 seconds and then take them out and put them in a bowl of ice and water. They are officially blanched cucumber slices.

I researched this topic back when I was figuring out ideas for my BN pleco. I miss her :scry: