PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead filters... reminder

Mith
06-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Hey, just wanted to reiterate a money-saving hint for those of you out there who use power-heads with filters connected.

I have two types, one filter is sponge. They're nice because they're reusable, however, I don't believe they filter as thoroughly. The filter that I prefer is the polishing pad type. The filters have a pre-formed filter that fits over the cylindrical filter structure, but they're a bit on the expensive side.

I have found it's just (if not more) efficient to use "polishing pad" material which you can purchase at you LFS (local fish store). It comes is a huge sheet which is easy to cut to shape.

I cut one strip off which is the size of the length of the filter inner structure. Then I wrap that strip around the filter so it completely wraps around the filter, then cut it to size. It's a VERY cost-cutting way to maintain your power head filter's filter mechanism.

And there ya have it.... :22:

Cliff
06-12-2011, 09:32 PM
That sounds like a good idea Mith

Mith
06-12-2011, 09:52 PM
That sounds like a good idea Mith

Ya, it works great and cuts expenses immensely! thumbs2:

gadget228
06-12-2011, 10:28 PM
thumbs2: on any tip that can save me money... :ssmile:

Mith
06-13-2011, 04:37 AM
thumbs2: on any tip that can save me money... :ssmile:

I may not have much to offer AC... but I try when I can... hehe :22:

toddnbecka
06-13-2011, 08:51 AM
I buy bonded filter pad by the roll on e-bay every few years or so. I cut it to size/shape for everything from my aquaclear quickfilters to the eheim canisters, use it until it starts to fall apart (usually after about the 4th or 5th cleaning) then replace it as necessary. Less messy than loose polyester material, and much easier to rinse clean as well.

WhiteDevil
06-13-2011, 02:08 PM
8 bucks for a big bag of poly fil, 5 bucks for several sheets of cross stitcher board and some 2 dollar fishing line. makes over 6 dozen of those poly pads for a fraction of the cost. Its loose fill but can easily be tamed and harnessed to perform as a 10 micron filter, possibly down to 1 micron if you really pack the things tight.