PDA

View Full Version : colored thread for tying plants?

mermaidwannabe
06-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I plan to get an Anubias nana and tie it to some fake wood in my tank. I read that you can use cotton thread. Does it always have to be white? Do colored threads leach dye into the tank that might be harmful? I was thinking if I used green cotton thread, it would blend in better with the plant and look less conspicuous. But if it could leach harmful green dye, I won't do it. Any advice on this?

-- mermaidwannabe

Brhino
06-11-2011, 09:19 PM
I've read dye can be a problem, like you said. Haven't tried myself, one way or the other. I've used clear fishing line, which is pretty hard to see, as well as super glue gel, which is invisible if you do it right.

Goes to 11!
06-11-2011, 09:49 PM
I've read dye can be a problem, like you said. Haven't tried myself, one way or the other. I've used clear fishing line, which is pretty hard to see, as well as super glue gel, which is invisible if you do it right.
+1. It's nearly transparent & Will not rot. ----> Fishing line FTW.

mermaidwannabe
06-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Would aquarium silicone for small projects be okay to use on the bottom of a living rhizome? Maybe just a pindot or two in a couple of places to hold it in position until it sends down its own roots? Or would using the aquarium glue harm the plant? I know the silicone has to cure for several hours outside of the water. I guess I could keep the top part of the plant moist by misting it in my sink until I can submerge it into the tank.

What do you folks think about that?

Fishing line would probably be my best option, but I generally find it hard to work with. It's so fine and nearly invisible.

-- mermaid

Cliff
06-11-2011, 10:23 PM
If you use silicone, I would be concerned about the part of the plant that stays out side the water would die and start to rot at some point. 24 hours is a lot of time for it to be out of the water

I would suggest using the safest option of fishing line

Brhino
06-11-2011, 10:27 PM
agree with cliff, silicone won't work. If you're considering silicone, seriously, try super glue gel instead.

riot
06-11-2011, 11:10 PM
They make fishing line that is specifically designed to not be seen under water. That is what I'd do.

Lady Hobbs
06-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Thread is ok too and there's not enough dye in the thread to do anything.

I use a staple gun and pull the staples out later. And NO......that amount of rust doesn't hurt them either.

mermaidwannabe
06-12-2011, 02:52 AM
Thanks, folks. Fishing line it is ...

-- Mermaid