PDA

View Full Version : Safe Rocks for Brackish Aquarium

shine17
06-11-2011, 06:42 AM
I posted a while back if it was safe for me to place my beach rocks into my 5.5 gallon brackish tank, so my RCC could climb out. Didn't feel comfortable with it...

Now I am going to expand my 5.5 gallon to a 10 gallon and want to provide my RCC and any others in the future with dry areas and caves, etc.

What I wanted to know: are there rocks that are safe to place within my brackish tank? I read somewhere that slate and shale are good (not sure).

I would appreciate it if someone could help me with this.

Thanks!

Lady Hobbs
06-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Any rocks should be fine as long as they don't fizzle with the vinegar test.

Spidyman
06-12-2011, 05:50 AM
You can get this and have top level or fast fish that can live in brackish water with them i have one and it works just fine but was a little hard to set up but i had to do it in a filled tank. guppies and mollies would be the best option for tank mates but may get eaten if the crabs get the opportunity.
http://www.crabhomes.com/products/1/Buy_Underwater_Islands.html

shine17
06-12-2011, 10:18 PM
You can get this and have top level or fast fish that can live in brackish water with them i have one and it works just fine but was a little hard to set up but i had to do it in a filled tank. guppies and mollies would be the best option for tank mates but may get eaten if the crabs get the opportunity.
http://www.crabhomes.com/products/1/Buy_Underwater_Islands.html

Was definitely looking into that [maybe] since I am looking to have fish as well, but I am still interested in providing them [crabs] with a place to climb up.

I love the idea of this underwater crab home. By any chance do you know if a Patriot Crab would be able to use the largest one they have.

Spidyman
06-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Sorry I know nothing about that species how big does it get?

shine17
06-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Sorry I know nothing about that species how big does it get?

Not sure either but the one I saw is something close to 3" maybe more :?

Spidyman
06-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Ya they would fit but in a ten gallon I don't think you can have very many like 2 maybe 3 and the may attack rcc or fiddlers if you want them too. But I think they would be just fine in the larger one I have that one and there is about a 4 or 5 inch opening to enter and it has a river that goes through it so it looks pretty cool.

shine17
06-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Ya they would fit but in a ten gallon I don't think you can have very many like 2 maybe 3 and the may attack rcc or fiddlers if you want them too. But I think they would be just fine in the larger one I have that one and there is about a 4 or 5 inch opening to enter and it has a river that goes through it so it looks pretty cool.

That's awesome, that's the one that caught my attention when I was looking at the website. Don't know if my crabs would even be excited about the river, I sure would. Still thinking about it. Will let you know what I decide.

Spidyman
06-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Also didn't know if you saw it but you can buy a feeder tube and pit live crickets in the house and they are supposed to go crazy for them.

shine17
06-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Also didn't know if you saw it but you can buy a feeder tube and pit live crickets in the house and they are supposed to go crazy for them.

I did see that. I'm kinda scared of crickets going crazy out of the tank or I let once loose by accident.

Spidyman
06-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Haha that is the way my mom is that is why she won't let me get anothe fire belly toad. And I really liked my fire belly toad.