PDA

View Full Version : What can be paired with an oscar??

amanda_
07-23-2007, 08:32 PM
I currently have a baby oscar in a 25 gallon tank with 2 filters made for a 30 gallon tank. He is only about 3 inches right now. I am getting ready to build him a tank but am not sure what size to build. I was wondering if an oscar can be paired with a freshwater ray and if so what size should I have built? If they are not compatible, what other fish are and what size of tank would I be looking at?

Rue
07-23-2007, 09:36 PM
One Oscar...with NO tankmates needs a min. of 55g with at least double filtration and weekly large waterchanges.

They actually CAN go with a ray...but the ray needs a massive tank with room to move...I don't think I'd want one in less than 300g.

In a 75-90g you could have 1 Oscar and 3-5 Silver Dollars.

Oscars can also be housed with Green Terrors or Jack Dempseys.

Tin-foil barbs are another suitable tankmate.

troy
07-23-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't know but rays need about 125 gallons of water each. You could have a Oscar in a 55 gallon with no other fish.

troy
07-23-2007, 09:39 PM
I posted at the same time as you. I was afraid that was going to happen.

Rue
07-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Heh...one point for dial-up! :28:

Fishguy2727
07-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Oscars need a minimum of a 75 since they can hit 15-18".

Rays...it depends on the species (some hit 10" diameter, some hit 3' diameter). The dimensions are more important than volume with rays.

I would not consider the two compatible except in very large setups, due to the oscar's territorial nature and the ray's sensitive skin.

Tankmates for oscars include: cichlid of the same water parameters and equivalent aggression level, bichirs (Polypterus spp.), Synodontis eupterus, large plecos, large catfish, among others. I would not mix oscars with silver dollars, it is not fair to the silver dollars.

Rue
07-23-2007, 10:01 PM
I dunno...I've seen Oscars in with rays in a 300g squarish tank...and apparently there were no compatibility issues...

...and I've also been told that if you keep a school of silver dollars with a single Oscar there are also no issues...but that I haven't seen for myself...but have been told by several people...

Of course if you get any companions...the tank needs to be larger.

And while plecs can be housed with Oscars...the overall consensus is not to bother...all you get is more waste...since the plecs are also very dirty fish...and no benefits...

Fishguy2727
07-23-2007, 10:10 PM
I agree with the plecos. But many people like common plecos (and others that could work). The same could be said for another oscar, lots of poop without much benefit.

I think it would be too stressful of an environment for the silver dollars. I know many have done it, but I wouldn't.

With rays and oscars it depends on the rays and the oscars. There are lots of combinations that can work, but many are too unlikely to be considered safe. It also depends on tank size, shape, how long they have been together, and from what size.

Rue
07-23-2007, 10:20 PM
I agree on getting a plec if you like plecs...personally, I quite like them...however I don't have a set-up suitable for one at the moment.

I think the rational comes from people who think that plecs are tank cleaners...which they're really not...and then these same people are surprised to find how much a plec eats and adds to the bioload...

...but I agree...if you luv plecs, they can be housed with Oscars...

AquaQueen
07-24-2007, 01:43 AM
I have a Brown Bullhead Catfish in with my two Oscars right now and the cat rules the tank. I have had them in with my Jack Dempsey's in the past but they were always fighting so the Oscars Moved out...lol. I know someone here at AC once told me that if there is only one Oscar and you get it young enough you can raise it with other " unlikely" tank mates. I would like to point this out though, what ever you get make sure it can't fit in your Oscar's mouth they will eat anything small enough to fit in there...trust me. Good Luck with what ever you decide.

NWMountainTroll
07-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Honestly, oscars are not that aggressive. As long as they have space to move I think you're fine with anything that wont fit in its mouth, providing it is not aggressive towards the oscar.

Fishguy2727
07-24-2007, 02:40 PM
There are some that are more aggressive. And many cichlids that grew up in a tank will not allow any fish to be added.

AquaQueen
07-24-2007, 04:42 PM
There are some that are more aggressive. And many cichlids that grew up in a tank will not allow any fish to be added.

That is nothing but truth right there...I know first of all
I have two Oscars and second he is the one that helped me alot with them and third from experience with them(Oscars), anything that is put into that tank is food to them, even my catfish thinks "FOOD" when we open the lid...even if it is only wipe down the glass...lol. If they are grown dont even attempt it.

NWMountainTroll
07-24-2007, 11:49 PM
If provided with enough space oscars are pussycats. Now, they can get aggressive depending on how they are raised and whether or not they are bred or wild caught.

AquaQueen
07-25-2007, 02:43 AM
I see that side of them but not often...more when they were young..my hubby is their main caretaker so he can pet them and hand feed any of the evil fish in that tank. The orange one is funny he has swam into my hubby's hand before and just sat there. I have taken many pictures of them and seen the teeth those suckers have close up in them. So I'd rather not give them the chance to do any harm.

NWMountainTroll
07-26-2007, 12:09 AM
How big of a tank are they in and have you fed them live fish?

crackatinny
07-26-2007, 12:15 AM
I have Bala sharks, silver dollars, a suckermouth catfish and a red devil in with my 10inch oscar, and it is a peacefull tank.

Having said that, it is a 120G, the red devil grew up with the oscar, and the sharks, catfish and dollars where added when they where large.

AquaQueen
07-26-2007, 01:41 AM
Yes they have live food. They have a variety of Pellet foods, live, freeze dried, and frozen. They are spoiled they get it all plankton, krill, feeder guppies(that I have been breeding) & golds(I buy), a few shiners, and frogs...I know go ahead shoot me (my mom wants to...she's a frog lover) From the beginning they all had live food because the catfish was wild and already ate fish. As for the Oscars we chose to feed live foods,so I know that is why everything is food to them...even my net is food...at least they think so...lol. Some People don't use live foods but I like to watch them eat, it's really cool. Oh just for the record they would be eating live foods in the wild so it's only natural..IMO.