PDA

View Full Version : M/F Ratio

Peterjay
06-03-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm in the process of setting up a 90 gallon tank, and after going back and forth a lot, I've finally decided to make it a rainbow tank with two or three species. (probably Boesemani and turquoise, plus maybe one other species) As might be expected, my research has put me on information overload. I have a pretty fair idea as to water parameters, etc., but the male-to-female ratio is something that I haven't found a definitive answer to. Seems like everybody has a different opinion as to what ratio will keep male/female aggression to a minimum. If any experienced rainbow keepers can help, I'm all ears. (I have no interest in breeding) Thanks in advance.

Lady Hobbs
06-03-2011, 02:49 PM
I have kept just pairs, just males as well as 2 F/1 male ratio. Unless you're planning to spawn, just males are fine. Since they don't fight like cats and dogs, it all works.

PS.....Turqoise and bosemani is what I have. I also had the Austrialin Splendia and didn't like them at all! They are nuts. A big school of the neon rainbow would make a nice filler.

Peterjay
06-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the quick reply lady - I like your idea of the neon shoal - it would certainly make for a stunning display. I've read that neons prefer different water parameters than the others - am I just worrying too much? My water tends to be on the alkaline side and slightly hard. (as you can tell, I have zero experience with rainbows - they weren't readily available when I had my tanks years ago)

Lady Hobbs
06-03-2011, 03:15 PM
I have hard water with 7.6 pH. They do just fine. Even if rainbows spawn in the tank, they eat their own eggs so you won't be over-run with them. But since you don't plan on breeding them, all males will give you prettier fish.

Peterjay
06-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Many thanks for the input. This is going to be my display tank in the living room, so I'm hoping to get everything right the first time around. (for a change LOL)