PDA

View Full Version : i've got fry!

sergo
07-23-2007, 01:24 PM
i bought a red zebra from petsmart on july 4 that was holding eggs and while observing the tank yesterday i watched her spit one of the fry out. that was so cool! that little guy came zipping out and then disappeared. after it disappeared i started thinking that it wouldn't be too great of an idea to let them lose so i netted her and over the course of a few minutes she ended up spitting the rest out (7). so i got a moderate size zip loc container and put some holes in the lid and in the sides. i put the fry in it and submerged it in the tank but i think there is still one lose in the tank but i haven't seen since shorly after it got spit out so he's on his own. i also put in 1/4 of a piece of algae wafer for them to eat. anyone have any suggestions for raising red zebra fry?

Lady Hobbs
07-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Hey good for you. I can hardly believe it but I have not had babies even one time. I think the eggs all get eaten before they have a chance.

salman
07-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Hey good for you. I can hardly believe it but I have not had babies even one time. I think the eggs all get eaten before they have a chance.

Conrats on your new babies.

Yeah me too, i never get babies, except for my livebearers but thats no fun and they arn't worth anything lol. I might go with silver dollars next, since my goldfish are dieing (yay!) lol.. goldfish dont die when you want them to!.. i have like 3 left in my 86 gallon. But they are big

sergo
07-23-2007, 02:00 PM
i guess thats the great thing about mouthbrooders and the reason why bought her was because she was already holding. those little guys are neat. they are all eyes.

Drumachine09
07-23-2007, 03:53 PM
i guess thats the great thing about mouthbrooders and the reason why bought her was because she was already holding. those little guys are neat. they are all eyes.

I saw a scene from "planet earth" in lake malawi, when this mouth brooder spit out about 100 fry, and then sucked them all back in. It is amazing to see.

Congrats on the fry! I am hoping to breed my severums soon, so, we might have a bunch of babies on the forum!

RobbieG
07-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Congrats on the fry!

I have tried to watch that one episode about 20 times - every time its on some emergency comes up. I'm about ready to buy the DVD!

sergo
07-23-2007, 04:56 PM
damn, 100! that's a mouthful for sure.

troy
07-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Hooray!:19: