PDA

View Full Version : Plant ID

Fisharefriends27
05-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Normally I wouldn't get anything without research, but there was a sale at my lfs for plants. I had them for a while now, but I never knew what plants they are. The lighter colored one does great, but the darker one doesn't grow or rot.
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i450/Kristi_Buynak/DSCN0653.jpg

Any ideas?

smaug
05-30-2011, 11:01 PM
I had that darker one many years ago. Its a terrarium plant,it will fall apart when submersed.

Fisharefriends27
05-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Do you know the exact type? That's fine if you don't. I took it out. Does anybody know what the other one is?

smaug
05-30-2011, 11:29 PM
I think it was called an asian fern. I don't know its sci name. It is not aquatic,they grow great in a vivarium or similar environment. The other plant you have looks a bit like a sword,maybe a young rubin.

Fisharefriends27
05-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Just a little update.
I took out the darker one. I filled up a cup of dirt and put it in there, I didn't have any kind of potting soil. When I went to check on it, it was close to dead. :ssuprised: :scry: So I took out the old 2.5 gallon filled it with a tiny bit of warm water, put paper towels on top, then put the cover on, and this morning it looks great.
So I'm going to try to put the tank near light, but use the hood to have shade, use the warm water(will be changed) to keep moisture/humidity, and get some potting soil soon.

Thanks smaug!!! The plant likes it's new home!

smaug
05-31-2011, 02:27 PM
I forgot to mention that it can be kept bare root in an environment with high humidity. Matter of fact,that may be the only real good way too keep it. If you are covering its roots,do not cover them tightly or totally and use a light soil similar to forest floor soil.

Fisharefriends27
05-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Once again thank you. I went around collecting dead leaves, patches of moss, and that sort of stuff. I moved the plant to the new cup and tried to keep the roots out of the soil while keeping the plant in it. (I mean the roots are sticking out of the soil). I can't say thanks enough.