PDA

View Full Version : Pleco food?

Spidyman
05-28-2011, 07:19 AM
Ok so I have two bns and a rubbernose in my 55. I have been just giving them algea wafers every once and a while. Now I want to feed them some fruits and vegtables. Any suggestions on where to start?(I know they will eat most but I want to know where to start) also what fruits and vegetable should I avoid? Also other helpful tips like should I boil them, buying organic stuff, ect.

Cyberra
05-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Every pleco food thread I've seen says they go nuts for cucumber and zucchini. And watermelon?

gadget228
05-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Mine love cucumbers and zucchini, I blanch them first to soften them a little bit and to help them sink. Anything that hasn't been devoured in 24 hours is removed.

Crispy
05-28-2011, 01:10 PM
cucumber and zucchini for veggies and any type of melon for fruits is a good place to start.

Cliff
05-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Just to add to the already good suggestions here, keep in mind it may take a little time for your plecos to realize the veggies are food. At least it took a while for my plecos to.

You might have to keep trying for a little while before they start eating it

ilroost
05-28-2011, 01:35 PM
open a can of green beans, drop a couple in then eat a couple. good for them and you

Spidyman
05-28-2011, 02:47 PM
I read somewhere that you should boil them first is this true? And also to buy organic it that also nessissary?

Cliff
05-29-2011, 01:08 AM
You can boil them lightly (blanching them), it will make it a little easier for your pleco to eat.

I just peel the veggies and put them in the tank. Within minutes, my plecos have started eating them

ArkD'Julie
05-29-2011, 03:26 AM
My little bn likes carrot in addition to what's already mentioned.

Everyone, just thought of spinach.... wondered what you thought of a little wad of raw spinach leaves weighted down on a fork? I haven't tried it yet, but I usually have it to put in salads.

Spidyman
05-29-2011, 05:13 AM
Sounds good I don't have anything but strawberries so I tried that and they did eat a little bit but I think they will eat more once they realize that I'm trying to feed them. Also thanks for all the help guys.

Taurus
05-29-2011, 02:32 PM
My little bn likes carrot in addition to what's already mentioned.

Everyone, just thought of spinach.... wondered what you thought of a little wad of raw spinach leaves weighted down on a fork? I haven't tried it yet, but I usually have it to put in salads.

Raw spinach leaves need blanching first. Blanching removes the layer of cellulose on the leaves making them easier to digest.

TazManiac
05-29-2011, 03:20 PM
This info is handy guys. Thanks.

Didn't know I could/should blanch zucchini.
Didn't know to peel it.
Didn't know it could stay in the tank 24hrs either.

dbosman
05-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Stick a stainless steel fork in the zucchini to keep it on the bottom.
Do be aware that as you feed more foods to your plecos, they poop more. You will have to pay attention to your filtration. I've one tank I can not get clear of particulates.