PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic Plants Android app

forgin
05-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Hello guys...i made an app about all you need to know about aquarium plants.
It has almost all plants and its needs.
I only need to translate some of the info into english (only the +info part, the main info is generic) so if you like the plants..its a need!!!

thanks, any suggestion, plz send a message.

funkman262
05-28-2011, 01:50 AM
Umm, if this isn't just spam and you really are asking for suggestions, I'm really not seeing how anyone can help you based on your post. You haven't given a link or anything that we could visit to see what you've done thus far.

But if this really is spam then I feel foolish for replying lol...

Mith
05-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Umm, if this isn't just spam and you really are asking for suggestions, I'm really not seeing how anyone can help you based on your post. You haven't given a link or anything that we could visit to see what you've done thus far.

But if this really is spam then I feel foolish for replying lol...

Well there's no reason for you to feel like a food alone.... I'll also reply (throw my body on the grenade if you will)

We're in this together my friend.... LOL

forgin
05-28-2011, 09:31 PM
hehe, its not spam, sorry for not telling the name i forgo to put it.
Its called Plantas Acuario, althought its in spanish, i use the scientific name of plants and the info is like:
Ph: 6.6-7
Gh: 2-15 dh
Temp: 18-22ºC
so its no difficult to understand, anyway, i am making a full translation of the app and will update it. if you want the full english version, dont download this one coz i may upload a new one just in english.

any suggestion are welcome!!

TazManiac
05-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Can I suggest having both the scientific and common names? Some of us don't know the scientific names, especially if we have just bought a bunch of plants at the lfs. I will check the app out.

forgin
05-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Can I suggest having both the scientific and common names? Some of us don't know the scientific names, especially if we have just bought a bunch of plants at the lfs. I will check the app out.

it has the common name inside the info...but i will add them near the scientific name if you want

Lady Hobbs
05-29-2011, 04:04 PM
I guess I'm not understanding this. You want to do a plant information sheet but want us to supply the information for you?

We already have dozens of sites we use but if you wrote something up, I'm sure we'd be happy to look at it. Not too sure we are willing nor have the time to do the information for you, tho.

Articles also need to come with pictures or are not very useful, placements of plants in the tank, lighting conditions they need, etc.

Thread moved to proper area.

funkman262
05-29-2011, 04:10 PM
LH, it seems more like forgin's already got all of the information needed but just wants us to more or less give a review on it to see what can be changed to make it more useful to people trying to get information on aquarium plants.

forgin, does it only give information about the water parameters or does it also give info like growth (size, speed, etc.), amount of light needed, best type of substrate (course gravel, sand, etc.), co2 and fertilizer requirements, etc.? All of that information would be great to have in one app.

Lady Hobbs
05-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks. Wasn't sure where this was going.

forgin
05-29-2011, 07:58 PM
The app is out in market but its the spanish version, it has right now, this information:
Nombre común: Ninguno
Dificultad: Fácil
Luz: Baja
Ph: 5-9
Gh: 5-15 dh
Temperatura: 20-30 ºC
Tamaño: Variable
Crecimiento: Lento
+Info: Reproducción por división del rizoma.
No se entierran las raices.

translation is:
Common name: Anyone
Dificulty: easy
Light: Low
Ph: 5-9
Gh: 5-15 dh
Temperature: 20-30 ºC
Size: Variable
Growth: Low
+Info: Reproduction by rhizome split.
Dont bury roots.

And of course, all plants have a photo on it to identificate.

so i asked when you get the app for new suggestions, for example that about substrate....

TazManiac
05-29-2011, 11:39 PM
And as last hobbs suggested, position in tank.

TazManiac
05-29-2011, 11:46 PM
The free version can be found here (http://market.android.com/details?id=com.golgorz.plantasacuariofree) on your android device for anyone who is interested. I just downloaded it and will check it out. Permissions look pretty standard, which is nice to see as too many apps seem to want permissions for completely useless stuff.

What is the difference between the free version and the paid app?

forgin
05-30-2011, 11:02 AM
right now just the ads...but dont buy the paid version now coz i am translating it into enflis and will upload it soon as a new app
later the paid version will have differences (dunno wich ones right now) to make the difference

forgin
05-30-2011, 10:24 PM
I have just uploaded the english version for free (will upload the paid version in a few minutes with no ads)
you can find it on market with this name "Aquarium Plants Free"

forgin
05-30-2011, 10:25 PM
I have just uploaded the english version for free (will upload the paid version in a few minutes with no ads)
you can find it on market with this name "Aquarium Plants Free".

guppies55
05-30-2011, 10:54 PM
so far seem like a really good app done found a plant or 2 that i'm going to get

TazManiac
05-31-2011, 12:02 AM
A good quick reference app.

I would like to see larger thumbnails, I also think that the listings with only one option should have the second menu removed and go directly to the plant details, the common names could be added under the scientific names in the menu.

I think it is a great start though.

Looks like you need to find a few more of the common names for plants as well. Glosso for instance says no common name, the corkscrew val doesn't have that as it's common name.

Would be good to have a section stating whether a plant should have co2 or fertilisers too.

Looking forward to seeing how the program transforms with updates.

forgin
05-31-2011, 12:08 AM
yes, i know a lot of plants doesnt have common name yet...i am working on it for next update, and also put the commo name near scientific name in the menu selection.

for the co2 info and so on, it will be added, just a matter of time ^^.

forgin
05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
I have updated the app with the moss link fix.

forgin
05-31-2011, 04:03 PM
i have just updated the app fixing the link of Moss section.

forgin
06-01-2011, 03:06 PM
updated app, added common names near scientific names (still have to do stem plants common name)

forgin
06-01-2011, 03:07 PM
updated app, added common names near scientific names in the lists(still have to do stem plants common name)

Cliff
06-01-2011, 03:23 PM
I have merged both of your threads as they are the same topic and you are up-dating both with the same info

Aeonflame
06-01-2011, 04:00 PM
How about a blackberry app?

forgin
06-01-2011, 05:32 PM
i will check what i need for blackberry....also, anyone interested in symbian?

TazManiac
06-02-2011, 12:09 AM
I would recommend finishing one version completely so that you don't spend years updating coherent things in multiple programming languages. That way you will have your layout complete and all your text can just be copy/paste.

forgin
06-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Updated APP with common names of stem plants...so, next update will be with tank position, co2 and fertiliser requirements..but will take a bit and will do it on steps..i am on exams till july

forgin
06-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Hello all....may be its a bad idea to wake up this post...but anyway, long time i did not updated de plants app....but yesterday i updated it, totally revamped app,new user interface,search by filters and different ways to organize plants....i hope you like it and find usefull.
If anyone is interested in adding new plants if they are missing or any other info, email me on forgin50 '@' hotmail .com and i will be glad to add them.
I am uploading an iphone version soon, they need to accept it to publish in store.

thx!

KevinVA
06-22-2013, 02:28 AM
Once the iphone version is ready, I'll d/l it for my ipad. Would love to check this out. =]

forgin
07-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Once the iphone version is ready, I'll d/l it for my ipad. Would love to check this out. =]

The ios/ipad version is being reviewed by Apple, i expect it to be out in store in a few days. I will write it here when out. By the way its a payd version, 0.99 i guess, why payd may you aks? well...i have not much money and those 99 dollars/year for ios is too much xD

Cliff
07-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Just a warning forgin, we do have very strict rules on the forum about spam and advertizing on the forum

If you want to list you app for sale, I would suggest you start a thread in the classified section of the forum.

I would hate to see this thread turn into a selling or advertizing thread.

Triton
07-16-2013, 12:37 PM
sounds like a good app, but like Cliff said, don't advertise the paid version here.

I def would like to try this app out, just as an easy go to.

One app I'd love to see sometime is one to help identify plants, by asking a few basic questions, the app could narrow it down to a few selections, provide a photo of each for the user to compare and then provide info on the plant once the user finds the one he/she has

forgin
07-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Just a warning forgin, we do have very strict rules on the forum about spam and advertizing on the forum

If you want to list you app for sale, I would suggest you start a thread in the classified section of the forum.

I would hate to see this thread turn into a selling or advertizing thread.
Can you edit my previous post and delete the part of the pricing? i cant edit it, i posted it coz other person asked for an ios version of the Android app.
About advertising it...well, it sounds like it, posting that i have an app is more or less an advertise, but did itjust to show ppl that the app may help them. Edit whatever you need to fit the rules plz.

forgin
07-18-2013, 02:33 AM
Ios version is out...aquarium plants. I will post it in classified section. Any suggestion to improve are welcome