PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish Plants

JustAlex4tw
05-27-2011, 04:03 PM
I am currently using some fake plants and a rock structure in my tank, but after seeing how much the goldfish enjoy swimming around in the fake plants I am considering getting some real plants to give them a better ecosystem.

I have read all of the attached stickies but I am curious if anyone has any suggestions for a more hardy plant that can take the goldfish nibbling on it and would be easy to care / maintain for a noobie. I would like to replace all of the fake plants with just one type of real plant. Something that will not overwhelm my tank, but is nice and flowy. I like the look of this particular plant: http://tinyurl.com/3f42rzh

Thank you for your time

:goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish:

Brhino
05-27-2011, 04:13 PM
What you linked, anacharis, is sometimes recommended for goldfish. They will eat it, but supposedly it grows fast enough that it will still keep up. I don't have any plants in my goldfish tank (not enough light), but I do sometimes feed them anacharis cuttings from my planted tank.

Two others you might consider are java fern (which supposedly has an unpleasant taste) and anubias (which has very tough leaves), but those don't look much like what you linked, so you may not care for them.

smaug
05-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Anubia coffefolia,its tough leaves will not be eaten by goldys,it requires minimum light,needs no planting in substrate (tie it to drift wood),needs no ferts. Its a slow but sure grower and can be divided at the rhizome to allow it to be spread throughout the tank. Over time you can have lots of them from just one nice plant.

JustAlex4tw
05-27-2011, 05:07 PM
I guess I didnt really convey my needs. I WANT the goldfish to eat the plant, but I dont want their nibbling on it to kill the plant.

smaug
05-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Well then.......................nevermind:shappy:

Brhino
05-27-2011, 05:27 PM
In that case Anacharis (which is also called Elodea) is definitely your best bet. They definitely WILL eat it, I can say from personal experience. I can't promise it'll grow faster than they eat it, but if you get enough of it, it should work. It's pretty fast growing.

DrNic
05-27-2011, 07:16 PM
I have some young koi in my 75 that are waiting to go into a pond. I think they probably have similar tastes to goldfish so here is what I've found.

Java ferns and hearty lillies are great. The fish do nibble on them a little bit if you forget to feed them but otherwise they pretty much leave them alone. I get the impression they don't like the taste.

Anubius also seemed to be goldfish/koi friendly. I have a faux stone with 4 attached plants that they never got touched at all.

Crypts can be hit or miss but some work. My bronze/red crypts never got touched, but the green crypts got eaten to death. Tall crypts get nibbled on a bit but eventually got left alone.

JustAlex4tw
06-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Thank you all for your comments. I picked up some Anacharis. We will see how they like it!