PDA

View Full Version : IsoŽtes

Omi256
05-26-2011, 12:10 AM
I put this in this section as most IsoŽtes have rhizomes.

I am quite fascinated with these plants due to evolutionary biology (They are the only Lycopods that I know of in the hobby), their very simple yet regular appearance and the fact that my local aquarium store sells them for US$8 in a tropical tank, which they seem to enjoy, despite the fact that they are being sold as "Octopus Plant", which as far as I have read, refers to a single species, though it is quite possible that "Octopus Plant" (As is the case with "Quillwort", a vernacular term for the IsoŽtes genus) merely is a generic term for all IsoŽtes species, not just I. lacustris.

Anyways, I have 2 questions on IsoŽtes: First, has anyone had any experience with them in a tropical aquarium; if so, how did they do? Secondly, They seem to grow rather tall; I am not sure about their growth habits (They are not Monocot Angiosperms, which have leaves that grow from the base nor Diocot Angiosperms, whose leaves grow from their tips); thus, could I prune the tips of their leaves without killing the plants (this is important in my shallow water paludarium)?

Many thanks for everyone's help!

Omi256
05-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Update: I just yesterday purchased the IsoŽtes plant. I put it in my 265 litre aquarium as I decided it was far too tall to thrive in my shallow paludarium.

Rue
05-26-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't think I've ever heard of it. I'm glad you found one.

Now post pictures! thumbs2:

Omi256
05-26-2011, 02:50 PM

Thank you for the complement; my camera is broken as of now and thus am currently unable to take photographs, though I should soon be able to.

Lady Hobbs
05-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Never heard of it. Sorry.

Omi256
05-27-2011, 07:55 PM

Here you go; enjoy!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/wKfxdUr_aKUfgLiRWFHbR_Tl2Yf3RpShOHsjbkcKPreEK3B7AT KcbvnqOvH9j6dEp6Nyvqb6XBOwXOQ1CLgVOTn9Ig=s512

The plant in front of the rock is my new Isoëtes; one can also see 1 of my Celebes rainbowfish, 1 of my Blue tetras, 2 of my Longfin Leopard Danios and my Madagascar Lace in the photograph.