PDA

View Full Version : Another feeding question...

Kodgeman
05-24-2011, 02:26 AM
Just been reading the recent posts on feeding plecos, sorry to add another one.

I got a BN three weeks ago - the kids have named him Igor. He is about 4inches. I'm a little concerned about him getting enough food.

I drop an algae wafer into the tank every 2 or 3 nights - they haven't been touched in the morning and the other occupants will eat them during the day.

I've added zucchini, cucumber or sweet potato twice a week, tried both blanched and unblanched. Not touched. (Perhaps he needs more time to recognise them as food.)

He doesn't seem to be wasting away, so I hope he is getting enough algae from the tank. The tank is only 9 weeks old, but some of the wood, a couple of decorations, and a couple of plants (including an annubius with pretty big leaves) came from my first tank, and so have algae on them.

But anyone have an idea how much BNs eat? I read about them devouring their favourite veggies etc., but haven't actually seen any evidence of Igor eating anything - veggies or pellets or algae off objects.

Kodgeman
06-14-2011, 02:25 AM
But anyone have an idea how much BNs eat?

Three weeks on. Only ones touching the veggies are the amano shrimp - their favourites are zucchini and carrots. Algae wafers (every 2-3 days) show slight evidence of being nibbled in the morning, not sure who is responsible, but if it is the BN he is barely taking anything (perhaps 10-20% of one).

Hardly any flake food makes it to the bottom.

I guess whatever algae is in the tank (can't really see much) is enough to keep him going. You'd think (or at least I do) a fish his size would need quite a bit of algae to sustain him, even if he isn't a very active fish (during the day at least).

Is this the norm with plecos?

I figure he'd eat veggies and wafers if hungry, but I want to be sure he is getting enough...

Cliff
06-14-2011, 02:58 AM
My pleco took a few weeks before the realized the veggies were food. Give you guy a little more time. As long as his stomack is not sunken, he should be getting enough food

Keep trying. He'll figure it out

jessfish
06-15-2011, 11:41 PM
mine took some time to figure out that zuchini was food I ended up putting a new chunk or slice of zuch in the tank every night for, i can't remember, it may have been a few weeks & he got the hint.

maybe try the same food every night for a few days or a week - it can waste a bit - but if it gets the BN to recognize the food it'll be worth it

have you tried spinach? if u have a veggie clip, clip a few spinach leaves plecos love spinach too

Kodgeman
06-16-2011, 03:20 AM
I'll certainly keep adding the veggies - I'll give the same thing a try for a number of nights straight and see if he gets the idea.

Not tried spinach leaves - do you add them as is, or blanch them? ...can you blanch them or would they just shrivel... one way to find out I guess!

Thanks