PDA

View Full Version : My first Pleco

Strider199
05-23-2011, 09:33 PM
After 30 plus years of keeping aquariums I have finally choosen a pleco. The 55 gallon tank has been running for a few months now with an assortment of tetras and a pair of GBR's with a Red Tailed shark. It is mainly planted with Anubius and Amazon swords (I gave up on stem plants). The tank has two filters, a HOB and a canister.

Here is my choice of pleco, Chaetostoma milesi or 187a, spotted rubber pleco. I have noticed the pleco is hanging out near the HOB intake. I guess this is because this species likes a current. I feed the general population flakes, tubiflex cubes, algae waffers and shrimp pellets. There is a bit of algae growing on my plants and a bit on the slate I have in the tank.
Being I'm new to pleco's and there are folks here with a ton of experiance, what should I feed this new addition which will make it feel at home? What veggie works well without fouling up the water?
Thanks in advance.:22:

Cliff
05-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Congrats on the new addition.

The veggies I feed mine are zucchini, cucumber, and watermelon. I think all veggies will fowl up the water if left in long enough. I only leave veggies in the tank for 12 to 18 hours. It took my plecos a while to catch on to the fact the veggies I put in the tank was actually food. Now they eat it like they have gone for months without food

I also give them the occasional algae wafers and a few large sinking pellets

Strider199
05-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Thank you Cliff for that advice. Time to raid the fridge. hehehe

Strider199
05-31-2011, 01:50 AM
Well apparently a shaving of cucumber mounted on a pair of toothpicks so it sits like a plant leaf, gets totally consumed over night by who ever is doing the eating. I've seen the Red Tailed Shark at it, the Panda Corie's, the German Blue Rams, but nobody hits this veggie like my rubber lipped pleco. The cucumber was down to just the skin the next morning. Oh and by the way I couldn't find the pleco until the day after the cucumber was totally eaten.

Thank Cliff for the reinforcement. Not only does the pleco enjoy the fresh cucumber but a few other residents enjoy it too.

Cliff
05-31-2011, 01:53 AM
That's great news.

I'm glad to hear your pleco is eating his veggies.

eroc1085
06-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I feed my L81's/LDA 31 and clown (dont know his number) zucchini and cuc. Haven't tried watermellon but keep getting reports that they love it!

My guys are also wood eaters.. so i keep a bunch of DW in there as well.