PDA

View Full Version : Live Worms - Where do you get them?

salman
07-22-2007, 10:20 AM
I hear all the talk about how good they are, but none of the fish stores i go to have any live worms. One of the fish stores had frozen blood worms, which my fish all love.. But i cant find any live ones. Is there a website you can order them from?

YaYgoldFish
07-22-2007, 01:45 PM
bait shops?

cocoa_pleco
07-22-2007, 04:10 PM
i get mine at pj's. they have small ones and you just get the fish plastic feeder cup, dump the worms in the cup, and the worms poke through the holes and the fish snatch them

Rue
07-22-2007, 05:46 PM
I'd stick with the frozen unless you're very sure of your live source...then you run the risk of introducing parasites...

Speaking of which...took my Am.Bull. for a walk in the city today...so I had to pick up after her...

...and she deposited a load full of tapeworms...

...I just treated her for roundworms...

...*argh* Back to the vet for more meds...

Lady Hobbs
07-22-2007, 05:49 PM
I hope you are talking of white worms and not earth worms? You don't know what earth worms have been raised in. Some raise them in manure and dirt, others in mulch.

gm72
07-22-2007, 07:20 PM
I hear all the talk about how good they are, but none of the fish stores i go to have any live worms. One of the fish stores had frozen blood worms, which my fish all love.. But i cant find any live ones. Is there a website you can order them from?

Yes. Mygardenatmyhouse.com :wink2:

Kidding, of course. I agree with Rue, make sure you can trust the source.

Cal Discus
07-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Its hard to find cultures to start your own and some lfs will sell live foods. You are more likely to find blackworms at a lfs but be very careful because those have been said to make fish ill if they have not been kept and cleaned correctly. Stick with the frozen blood worms. Cultures are better off located through a forum/friends/breeders. You can feed earthworms but you need to put them on newspaper for a while so they purge their insides. I have 2 white worm cultures that were started a couple of weeks ago through a friend that sent me a HUGE starter culture. I have to wait till they multiply before I can feed on a regular basis.

Dave66
08-12-2007, 10:14 PM
I get my cultures and a good deal of supplies from lfscultures.com. It's a biological supply house in University, Miss.

Dave

salman
08-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Wow that is cool. I want to start my own culture.

Unfortunately they only ship within the U.S

Dave66
08-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Salman,
If they weren't perishable, I'd relay you the cultures. However, from what I know of Kuwait and its modern cities, there has to be a biological supply house, if only to serve the needs of colleges. I'd suggest contacting one and see if they can help you.
If you need instruction, the Plankton Culture Manual by Frank Hoff is the bible of live food culturing.

Dave

salman
08-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Thank you.
I will ask around for live worms, i'll purchase a few. What worms should i buy if i find some?
I heard white worms were good?

Dave66
08-13-2007, 09:06 AM
They are, but you need to feed them grains, like oat grains, to avoid the problem of a high fat count in the worms. They also need to be kept cool, like in a dark cabinent in a basement.
I forgot to add, Grindal worms are two-thirds the size of white worms, which are about an inch long.

Dave