PDA

View Full Version : Treating for ick

rodm81
05-23-2011, 03:18 PM
As the thread states I'm using ick attack. The meds say not to do water changes but from reading on this forum the ice falls off to the bottom and should be vacuumed so as to reattach to another host. Is this not correct? Also my Rena xp1 has bio zorb crystals, will this not act the same as carbon? Been treating for about 5 days now and more fish is catching it. Don't have a qt tank. I raised the temp and the fish started acting crazy. I believe didn't have enough airflow so I added an extra stone. I have lost 2 of my priceless fish and a 3rd any moment. Tank just recently cycled and has been up just started the tank around April 5th. Also bout to by another tank heater as when I had the heater on max the most it got up to was 79 and I would like it about 84 as I have read the parasite can't produce above the temps. Any thought? Bout the crystals? Thanks

smaug
05-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Yes the biozorb will act like carbon to the best of my knowledge. Temp is raised as part of an ich treatment to speed up the lifecycle of the parasite,I don't know if they reproduce above a certain temp or not. I have not used the med you are using,I have used quick cure in the past with no losses and fast cure. Whatever you are using,follow the directions very closely unless someone with actual experiance with a differing procedure advices to differently. Ich cannot be killed while it os actually in the fish,the spots you see are the wounds created when they leave them and head back for the gravel to start the cycle over,this is when they are killed by the meds. The goal is to keep a reinfestation from occuring because when you see the spots,its too late,tthey already got the parasite. Tell us more about your tank,such as water maint schedule.

rodm81
05-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I suspected that about the bio zorb so I removed that this morning and added more bio ring. Changed the micro filter in the process as it was a lil dirty. Didn't mess with anything else. I'm a bi weekly guy that changes 25% (13 gal). I think I will go with weekly 10 to 15% wc. I prepare my water a day prior and add the right amount of prime and let it get room temp. I siphon out vacuuming the bottom into my dirty bucket and then add my clean prepared water. I shut off everything in the process but don't think I really need to except the heater as the water level doesnt got below the intakes. I think I just though about a flaw in my water change. The siphon I use to empty the water I use to replace without rinsing so dont know if I contaminate my water a lil. I don't add anything else. Have been thinking back adding some sort of bacteria replacement but seems that most folks don't advise or do it. Will look up the quick cure at my lfs and my try switching meds. Don't know if that's a good thing in the middle of treatment though. Thanks for the quick reply

Lady Hobbs
05-23-2011, 04:26 PM
I do 50% water changes weekly not matter tank size. 10-15% is hardly helpful at all. Is there some reason you can't just remove your water, add the dechlorinator to the tank (enough for the whole tank) and simply refill it with water the right temp right from the tap? Having buckets of water sitting around is not necessary.

Did you add new fish within the last couple of weeks? Sounds as new fish brought in the Ick.

rodm81
05-23-2011, 04:31 PM
I could do that. Just I have read so many times to add declorinated water to the tank and not straight out the tap. Your way is def easier.

Lady Hobbs
05-23-2011, 04:52 PM
As long as you add your water conditioner to the tank before refilling it, you will be fine. The water conditioner works instantly to remove chlorine from incoming water. This also prevents you from having temp fluctuations by adding water that may be too cold.

rodm81
05-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Now that u mention it, I had recently put in some mollies. Sure that's what brought the ice 2 my tank

rodm81
05-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Since I have my water temp up to 85 degree for treatment is it ok to bring in 6 neon tetras. My thought process is since the temp is up if the new arrivals have it like the last probably did it would help them. On the other hand it makes sense to wait until it's finally gone, do a 50% water change and then bring in the new fish. Any thoughts?

smaug
05-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Never add fish to a tank that is experiancing any disease.new fish are stressed enough as it is,new fish also stress the old fish,stress is the biggest cause for disease.

Lady Hobbs
05-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Agree. Add NO new fish or you'll simply infect them with ick too and that temp is too high for neons.