PDA

View Full Version : soft corals and anemones??

clainbro2
05-23-2011, 04:05 AM
So I've been reading a lot of stories where anemones have stung and killed fish 0.0
Is this likely to happen?? I really don't want my anemone to kill a 40$ fish especially ones that I've grown to love :(..

what are soft corals?

What and how do you feed corals and anemones?

Thanks a link to a good site will help :)

funkman262
05-23-2011, 04:50 AM
Yes, anemonies can kill fish and corals. They're also not recommended to beginners because they can be quite difficult to keep. Also keep in mind that unlike other corals, they have the ability to move around the tank until they find a spot that suits them.

Soft corals are just that. They don't have the hard calcium skeletons that LPS and SPS have.

Most corals are photosynthetic and need not be fed except for adequate lighting. If you wanted to feed them supplementary foods, the specific coral will determine what they are able to eat. This ranges from small particles like phytoplankton or oyster eggs to larger chunks like mysis and brine shrimp. They can be fed by simply adding a mix of food near a powerhead and allowing it to get blown all over the tank or you can target feed specific corals by turning off all of the flow in the tank and using a turkey baster to drop food directly onto the corals. This method takes more time but is more efficient in that it doesn't add so much waste to the tank.

clainbro2
05-23-2011, 05:01 AM
What are some species of coral (or soft corals) good for begginers?

Dave66
05-23-2011, 06:49 AM
The polyp corals, which go under the name as Zoanthids, though there are varied genus and species of them, are a good recommendation for beginners. They are sold under the names 'sea mats', button polyps, and 'Zoas'.

The reason polyp corals are recommended is, in nature, they occur in the turbid region of the fore reef, which is far more nutrient rich than the crest of the reef, where small polyp stoney corals proliferate in the sun-lit, nutrient-poor reef crest.

Dave

Cliff
05-23-2011, 12:56 PM
+1 to all the above

I would also suggest looking into mushrooms and leathers. They are easier corals to keep and do best in higher nutrient water

clainbro2
05-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks ill stay away from anemonies. But what about my clown??

funkman262
05-23-2011, 05:54 PM
What about him? Clowns do just fine without anemones. The only reason clowns need anemones in the wild is because they lay their eggs within the anemones tentacles which protects the eggs from being eaten by other fish. In exchange, the clown fish will bring food to the anemone. They both require this symbiotic relationship in the wild but it's not necessary in the home aquarium.

Also, it's not even guaranteed that a clown will host an anemone that you get. Not only do you need to get the correct anemone species (you can't just mix-and-match any clown and nem), many tank-bred clowns just don't host any at all. On the other hand, many people have noticed their clowns hosting other corals like frogspawn, leather mushrooms, etc. and even filter intakes/outtakes and powerheads. It's really a toss-up lol.

clainbro2
05-23-2011, 08:07 PM
I know lol, I just wanted to have a clown with a nem, I love watching them bury themselves its so cute.
But I guess that can wait..;)