PDA

View Full Version : Escape

Concelor
05-21-2011, 11:48 PM
So my LFS suggested some Ammanos for my 60 gallon, never have had shrimp before so only bought 12
I hear they can be little escape artists
Besides trying to cover all open areas on the back of my glass canopy
Any other thing I can do to prevent escapes
Some suggested lowering the water level
Which got me thinking, how high should I be filling the tank anyways, shrimp or no shrimp
Normally I fill it to the brim
But is it better to just fill to the bottom of the edging?

sheamurai
05-22-2011, 12:16 AM
I fill mine to just under the edging - mostly to keep the lights clean tho.

As far as the shrimp - keep in mind that they can crawl along tubing and equipment and get out that way, too.

Mine were all over the place, but they seemed to realise that they needed to stay in the water to live. I only ever had one escape so far that he couldn't get back in.

Concelor
05-22-2011, 01:22 AM
7 hours already found a dried up one on the floor
Drained about an inch of water from the tank during my nightly water change
And taped up any large shrimp holes in splash gaurd sections

Concelor
05-24-2011, 03:37 AM
! have found one dead on the floor but for the life of me cannot find the other 11
Is there a trick to spotting these little guys
I just want to to do a head count...and most likely notify next of kin :-)

Abbeys_Mom
05-24-2011, 02:47 PM
I lost my bamboo shrimp that way. Found him under my desk. It was a shame as I spent $12 on him. Now I keep Cherry Shrimp and they don't escape.

Kodgeman
05-25-2011, 01:38 AM
I've had three Ammano in my tank for a month. For the first few weeks they stayed right at the top of the tank on the vallisneria leaves. They'd occasionally jump out of the water a little when I opened the hood to feed, so I had to lower the level too - and keep an eye on the floor. Now they spend their time elsewhere in the tank.

Now I know they won't be dinner for the Bleeding Heart Tetras (the RCS were) I'll pick up a few more. Someone at the LFS said they'd be much better with tetras that RCS - and they were right.

If there is a trick to spotting them, I haven't found it yet! I saw all three at the weekend, but that was the first time for at least a week I had found more than one at a time.