PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this one before?

MeganL3985
07-22-2007, 02:38 AM
I was looking at one of the posts about a DIY cave and came across this one made from a coconut. Anyone try it before? I'm thinking it might look good in my 2.5 tank for my betta. Do like a tropical theme of some sort maybe...lol

http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-decoration/87.asp

salman
07-22-2007, 02:41 AM
Looks wonderful, but for you to sit there carving out, taping, or whatever you have to do to get this isn't so wonderful.

cocoa_pleco
07-22-2007, 02:43 AM
i make those all the time. i posted how to do it a few times. they work good and look cool. all you have to do is split the coconut in half, gut the inside shell, and boil it til it comes out clean, and rinse rinse rinse.

YaYgoldFish
07-22-2007, 02:50 AM
That looks awesome! I would definitly put one in my 25g but im not too sure if it would fit in well with my set up..but im definitly trying out..another that scares me is that ill never see my shrimps again tho...but my new bichir needs a new hiding place..but where would i get a coconut...soo confused..lol. :D

It does really look nice tho, seriously. Go for it, im sure your betta would LOVE it!

NWMountainTroll
07-22-2007, 03:03 AM
Looks wonderful, but for you to sit there carving out, taping, or whatever you have to do to get this isn't so wonderful.

You obviously don't like to create things do you LoL.

MeganL3985
07-22-2007, 03:29 AM
You obviously don't like to create things do you LoL.

Hahahaha I was thinking the same thing! :) I looooooove trying new "crafts", not saying i'm good at them, but I love trying! :)

MeganL3985
07-22-2007, 03:33 AM
I also realllllllly liked the rock cave groto thing that they made out of gutter and lava rock! If I had a bigger tank I would sooo do that.

MeganL3985
07-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Good greef charlie brown!! lol How long until the water starts going clear on the coconut boiling?!?! Its been going for quite some time now. Even though I asked my dad and he insists its not going to go clear cause its wood! Arg!! Taking forever and using my electricity! haha

crackatinny
07-27-2007, 12:51 AM
Good greef charlie brown!! lol How long until the water starts going clear on the coconut boiling?!?! Its been going for quite some time now. Even though I asked my dad and he insists its not going to go clear cause its wood! Arg!! Taking forever and using my electricity! haha

LMAO, you missread cocoas post its CLEAN not CLEAR

crackatinny
07-27-2007, 12:53 AM
And your dad is right, you have as much chance of boiling it clear as you have of boiling it tender:laugh1blue:

MeganL3985
Noooo I think on the DIY page it says clear! OOOOOHHH I HOPE SO ANYWAY!! Lmao! I think i'm gonna have to smack myself really hard if I did read that wrong!!! Ohh geez.......

tropfish
haha. patience patience patience. Something i lack with these types of projects. It should run clear soon. Don't give up!

MeganL3985
07-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Just re read it and it says "until nearly clear" okay this will be my last cycle of boiling water! lol Btw, its not gonna turn my fish water brownish is it...or is that just when boiling?

MeganL3985
07-27-2007, 12:59 AM
Okay I just looked at the water, after 20 minutes of the 4th boil!! lmao. Its somewhat clear, so I figure thats good enough. I thought I was doing something totally wrong!

crackatinny
07-27-2007, 01:02 AM
I missread your posts LOL.

I thought you was trying to boil the coconut clear, :14:

MeganL3985
07-27-2007, 01:14 AM
OHHHHHHHHHHH Nooooooo not the coconut! the water! hehehehehehehehe

Nick_Pavlovski
07-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Dammit!

You had to go show me this http://www.aquariumlife.net/diy.asp
and already I'm thinking....
"Hey, I can do some of this! So cool! Let's go to the hardware shop after I drop my wife off to work tomorrow morning, I'll start on the PVC pipe cave..."

HOWEVER!
How the dang am I meant to get my other hobbies done?
I've got 12 2nd World War Soviet tank models to glue and paint, so garden work to do, an article to write for the wagaming club magazine, photographs to sort out, some videos of Babylon 5 to watch......

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHH!!!!
:c11:

MeganL3985
07-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Lmao.......I know! I got on there and i'm like ohhhh I want to make that rock grotto!!! And I dont even have a tank big enough to do that with!!!! hahaha

crackatinny
07-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Well thats when you say.

Hubby darling, you are such a great man................etc...........etc

Then at the point he is so overwhelmed by this you say.

Don't you think a beutiful 200G aquarium would look just lovely over against that wall.

MeganL3985
07-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Hahaha, oh trust me when my daughter gets a little older I will most likely have tanks all over the place. lol And when I get old I won't be the "cat lady" i'll be the "fish lady" hahahaha