PDA

View Full Version : New Blueberry Shrimp Died

Omi256
05-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Hello all, I just got some new Blueberry shrimp that all died within an hour of getting home, while 1 died before I even got it out of the bag. I am confused as to why this happened as my fish (gold tetras and dwarf neon rainbows) completely ignored them and the shrimp I removed showed no signs of mutilation. In addition, I have had 2 Rhino shrimp for several months now and they are perfectly fine.

Here are some specifications of the aquarium I have: 10 gallons (about 40 litres); pH is 7.1; temperature was about 72 degrees F, though I turned my heater up to 75 after reading a bit about my Gold tetras' heat requirements and after reading a bit about other Caridina shrimp. I do not have any other water testing kits besides my pH kit, BTW, so I could not test anything else.

I have some theories: 1) This is not the usual aquarium store I go to as my usual aquarium store did not have any Blueberry shrimp and I could not make a special order there, though I could and did at the one I went to for getting my Blueberry shrimp; the aquarium I got my Blueberry shrimp at is about a dozen kilometres away from my home, while my usual aquarium store is within cycling distance at about 1 km away; thus, perchance my shrimp weakened from suffocation after a little less than an hour in their bags on the way home, due to the fact that my mother forgot her bank card so we had to rush over and get it while the shrimp were still in the bag as well as the fact that she insisted that we take 10 minutes going to get something to eat on the way home along with the fact that it was rush hour. 2) I do not know the type of care they had on the way to the aquarium store (though they had a very nice, uncrowded tank at the store). 3) Finally, being that I have no test kit for heavy metals as I always use deionized water in my aquariums, so I did not feel a need to get any kits besides pH.

So, I have some basic questions: 1) Should I get a heavy metal test kit? 2) Why do you think my shrimp died? 3) The store staff gave me a refund in store credit; should I use this to buy some new shrimp (they have some really nice Black Diamond shrimp...) or should I
use it to buy some supplies instead?
Thank you for the help everyone!

Strider199
05-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Sorry to read about the lose of your new shrimp.

Blueberry shrimp need good water quality. Any ammonia, or nitrite will do them in ASAP. If your nitrates get above 10 ppm it is over due for a water change. If you think there may be metals in your water or maybe from some ornament in the tank than I wouldn't put any more shrimp in that tank until you eliminate the source.

Trillianne
05-21-2011, 05:24 PM
I do not have any other water testing kits besides my pH kit, BTW, so I could not test anything else.

I always use deionized water in my aquariums, so I did not feel a need to get any kits besides pH.

THIS is the first thing I would address in this hobby. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate testing. That should be a bare minimum of testing. Contrary to what you may think, the water quality of your tank is not solely dependent on the water you are putting into the tank. As creatures produce waste they produce ammonia, which with proper bacteria gets converted to nitrites and then on to nitrates.

Secondly.... you admit that although one died in the bag on the way home you put them in a tank with other inhabitants.... which says to me you do not QT, so if this was disease or parasite related you've now shared it with your main tank.

I'd be more concerned with the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates testing than Heavy metals at this point.

Brhino
05-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Given that one died in the bag it seems most likely that the problem started before the shrimp reached your tank, so we can rule out problems with your tank itself like water quality.

Suffocation should not be an issue for an hour or so. Shrimp (and other fish) can make it a lot longer than that in a bag.

My guess would be temperature swings. Was it a warm, sunny day? Did you leave the bag somewhere where it was exposed to bright sunlight or warm temperatures at any time between when you walked out of the fish store and when you arrived home? A small bag of water can change temperature quickly, which is not healthy for fish and inverts.