PDA

View Full Version : Stocking pleco?

Spidyman
05-17-2011, 06:20 AM
So me and my bro have a 55 gallon cichlid tank and will be upgrading soon to hopefully a 120 4 ft tank. I was wondering if a pleco can first hold it's own with a synodontis catfish and all the aggressive cichlid too? Second is a a 120 large enough to house a pleco cause it is only 4 ft long but is 2 feet tall and wide?

Cliff
05-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Are you talking about a common pleco ?

I've seen common pleco's be OK in tanks with aggressive Oscars before. They can hold there own. I'm not 100% sure on the synodontis as I have never kept one in any of my tanks before

A 4' tank might be a little on the small side for a common pleco as they can get 15" (or a little more) when they are well cared for.

Crispy keeps large plecos, hopfully he can offer some advice

Brhino
05-17-2011, 01:59 PM
what kind of cichlids? I've heard some of them will attack the raised eyes of a pleco.

Crispy
05-17-2011, 07:04 PM
a decent sized pleco should be able to hold his own with even the most aggressive cichlids. they are nocturnal, so should be out and about when the cichlids are asleep. plecos will like lots of cover, and most love driftwood.

any particular pleco you're interested in? I would stay away from the real small plecs and get something in the medium range.

some will say not to keep them with africans because of their preferred water chemistry.

Spidyman
05-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the help and I don't really have a specific species in mind but something in the medium range would be good. I'm also not as worried about the cichlid but the Synodontis eupterus. I don't know how aggressive they are but ours is on the large size of them about 8 inches. But do you have any idea on a species that would be suitable of this setup? Our ph is high but we have bristlenoses and they are doing great.

SmokeyCFH
05-17-2011, 11:01 PM
I have 4 common pleco's in my 125G with a 12" oscar, 9" wolf fish, 12" jaguar cichlid, 18" tiger shovelnose, some jack dempsey's, a florida softshell turtle and a bullhead catfish. The largest pleco being around 12" and the smallest around 6" and they hold their own very well. Also I have them in with crushed coral which tends to bring up the pH, oscars take a while to get used to it but other than that everything is fine.

Spidyman
05-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Very helpful information. Thank you guys.