PDA

View Full Version : discus newcomer

falcon
07-21-2007, 06:43 PM
is there a ebook i can download on keeping discus

Cal Discus
07-22-2007, 01:53 AM
Dont know of any free downloads but if you click on your left under articles (discus), there is some pretty good basic information that is right on the mark. For more specific information about them, the best site on the internet in simplydiscus.com.

RobbieG
07-22-2007, 01:56 AM
I did a google search but all I found was an expensive ebook that showed up in so many different places for so many different search terms that it has to be a rip off.

Fishguy2727
07-22-2007, 01:27 PM
the best is actual books. Barron's 'Discus Fish' is a good start. Then more advanced books, then forums to sort out the info.

Cal Discus: How about a breakdown of the care of your discus? As mentioned before that could help anyone interested in discus.

Cal Discus
07-22-2007, 08:16 PM
the best is actual books. Barron's 'Discus Fish' is a good start. Then more advanced books, then forums to sort out the info.

Cal Discus: How about a breakdown of the care of your discus? As mentioned before that could help anyone interested in discus.

Everyone will be a little different when caring for discus but what about my care would you like to know? W/C's?? With a low load tank (1 adult discus per 10g), I will do 60-80% w/c every other day on my community tank. Alot depends on how many, tank size, filtration, size of discus, food fed, purpose, etc.

Fishguy2727
07-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Is I mentioned in another thread, since you are such an expert, maybe a breakdown of your care for your discus may help us all improve. It is safe to assume that none of us are breeding, but describing your tank (or one of them) and the filtration, water change schedule, diet, tankmates, etc. may help share that knowledge.

Cal Discus
07-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Is I mentioned in another thread, since you are such an expert, maybe a breakdown of your care for your discus may help us all improve. It is safe to assume that none of us are breeding, but describing your tank (or one of them) and the filtration, water change schedule, diet, tankmates, etc. may help share that knowledge.
I never claimed to be an expert. I feed a varied diet and I keep their tank and water clean. The more filtration, the better (I like to use sponge filters) but canister and HOB fiters are good also. I dont have tank mates, discus only. Its not rocket science, I just prefer to start with high quality discus and then I can end up with the same. I have had upwards of 30-40 discus at one time but I am now working with 12 adults. I have enjoyed keeping them but I now concentrate on the fun of breeding them and raising discus fry of my own.