PDA

View Full Version : The price of Riccia

Strider199
05-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Today I finally found some Riccia at an lfs near me. $6.99 for a 2inch x 2inch piece. :help:

I was not impressed. How much have you all paid for a piece of moss? Am I being too cheap?

Lady Hobbs
05-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Java moss sells in golf ball sizes and run about $7.

Abbeys_Mom
05-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Moss ball you can get for cheap, same $7 or so. But mosses are crazy priced. A portion of Java moss is about $10 for a 1"x1" ball. When I bought Cherry Shrimp the clump of Java Moss the fellow gave me was bigger then the one I bought in the store.

I am looking for some carpet like plants as well, but I can't bring myself to pay that much.

dragoonwoman
05-16-2011, 01:06 PM
I've found the prices on Aquabid or even eBay to be considerably less than my lfs or Petwhozis.

Aquabid prices tend to be a bit less (of the two), but many sellers are on both, with the same prices.

korith
05-16-2011, 01:06 PM
I've never understood either how much riccia sells for. A small piece always goes for a fair bit online. Haven't seen it any lfs though. Can usually get a decent sized chunk of it at my local fish club for a few bucks. Riccia does look good. One problem I have with it is once it gets too thick, the bottom side starts to decay fairly quick. Then you are left with little bits of riccia floating all over the tank.

For a carpeting type plant, you could look at microsword, pygmy chain sword or dwarf hairgrass. You can get info on these plants over on http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php

Abbeys_Mom
05-16-2011, 01:29 PM
I've found the prices on Aquabid or even eBay to be considerably less than my lfs or Petwhozis.

Aquabid prices tend to be a bit less (of the two), but many sellers are on both, with the same prices.

In Canada, it's hard to order from the states (live things), either the shipping is insane, or the plants/fish are dead when you get them as they get stuck at the border.

Local buy and sell sites work, but you have to wait until you find someone that has it. People around here also base their plant resale value on Big Al's prices, which are over priced when it comes to plants.

I bought an anubias from Petsmart for $4.99, it would have cost me $14.99-$16.99 at Big Al's for a smaller plant too.

Strider199
05-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Well it looks like the lfs have their price set, reading the above. I wonder if green house centers carry mosses for their pond customers? I'll have to check out a Terra on my way to work.

Abbeys_Mom
05-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Strider199

I have found someone locally selling some, I am looking into how much he will sell. He seems to have a minimum sale price of $10 for his plants, but I will see what you get for that. I am looking to get the same thing, carpet plants, so I will let you know if I find a deal.

dbosman
05-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Find, join, and participate in your local or not so local fish clubs.

I know several folks who dispose of riccia, java moss, java fern, subwassertang, etc. as they aren't worth the effort to ship. All offer it locally and sometimes it gets no takers so it's composted.

Abbeys_Mom
05-17-2011, 09:40 PM
I hate to say it, but our local fish club had not been that busy lately. There has been no posts for 4-5 days now. I think they are wrapping up for the summer.