PDA

View Full Version : How big is this pond?

DrNic
05-13-2011, 06:56 PM
One of the Facebook aquarium guys that I follow posted pics of his updated pond in his back yard. I love the way it's setup as a raised pond but I can't get a good feel for the size. I asked as a comment on the photos but haven't gotten a response. Does anyone here have a ballpark guess as to the size of this? I was thinking maybe 150G?

Crispy
05-13-2011, 07:43 PM
150g looks like a good guesstimate to me.

smaug
05-13-2011, 07:50 PM
That is similar to my first pond and it was about 150 gallons. They do ok for a half dozen fancy goldfish and a few comets.the way he is doing his will make for a very nice little pond but nothing in it would live through a winter where I come from.

DrNic
05-13-2011, 09:25 PM
[quote=smaug]That is similar to my first pond and it was about 150 gallons. They do ok for a half dozen fancy goldfish and a few comets.the way he is doing his will make for a very nice little pond but nothing in it would live through a winter where I come from.[/quote

Yeah I think we're both in MA and I had the same thought. I love the look, and potential safety for small kids, of a raised pond but they'll freeze solid in the winter around here. Once we move I'm hoping to setup a pond that's about 3 feet below ground level with at least a 12-18 inch raise on the top.

I thought the idea of using sand below a preformed pond was very clever. I've never seen anyone setup a pond like that.

funkman262
05-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Using sand like that is recommended in order to compensate for the pressure being put on the pond wall from the inside due to the water. The sand pretty much pushes back and reduces the strain.

He probably uses a heater to prevent the surface from freezing over. As long as the surface remains liquid to allow for gas exchange, the fish ought to be fine in there. They could handle quite low temperatures and their metabolism adjusts accordingly.

I'm not pond/goldfish/koi expert though, just recalling what I read when I was thinking about installing a pond in the backyard way back when lol.

Rue
05-13-2011, 09:40 PM
I don't like the look at all...looks like a hot tub...and I find those very unattractive...

But that's just my opinion, for what it's worth...:22:

smaug
05-13-2011, 10:11 PM
The trouble from an above ground pond isn't simply it freezing over,its in freezing solid. It would take quite a heater to keep that from happening during a cold northern winter. An above ground does not have the benefit of the insulating quality of the ground,trying to keep enough water movement to avoid solid freezing is detrimental to fish that are basically hibernating,energy lost due to station keeping in moving water is a death knell to a fish that isn't being fed.
Btw. I'm from pa

funkman262
05-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Red
05-14-2011, 03:41 AM
I don't like the look at all...looks like a hot tub...and I find those very unattractive...

But that's just my opinion, for what it's worth...:22:

What does this comment have to do with anything in the thread? The question what do you think the size of it is. It did not ask people if they like it or not, or if it looks good or not. Just wondering. Come on, you could have at least guessed the size.

But hey, that is my opinion, take it or leave it.

Back to the OP, I had one of these outside in IL weather, and it froze through have way through. It looks to be the same size of mine around 150 gallons.

Rue
05-14-2011, 04:42 AM
What does this comment have to do with anything in the thread? The question what do you think the size of it is. It did not ask people if they like it or not, or if it looks good or not. Just wondering. Come on, you could have at least guessed the size.

But hey, that is my opinion, take it or leave it.

Back to the OP, I had one of these outside in IL weather, and it froze through have way through. It looks to be the same size of mine around 150 gallons.

My comment had nothing to do with the question. Neither did your comment about my comment. So there.

If all conversation were totally on topic, there would be very little. Not to mention there already were several educated guesses on the size. So there again.:fish2:

Furface
05-14-2011, 01:00 PM
It looks larger than 150 gal to me, maybe 300. My opinion on molded ponds is way low, much prefer one put together with a liner, even if made small with only 200 gal or so. Cover the liner with small stones and it looks way more natural. Also having those near straight sides allows fish to jump out.
Just to pre-empt you folks, I know some of this is not size related, but I like to yap my opinions.

Lady Hobbs
05-14-2011, 01:46 PM
It looks larger than 150 to me, too, due to the depth. But I foresee a problem with nothing to support those sides and bottom. Those are meant to be supported by the earth around them.

funkman262
05-14-2011, 03:20 PM
But Hobbs, aren't the preformed ponds designed to support their own weight above ground (at least the ones I've seen are). And I'm assuming that he filled the space between the bricks and the mold with sand. It's hard to tell from the pictures but in the incomplete one you could see he began adding sand.

smaug
05-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Looks are deceiving when it comes to these type pond liners. It is actually not quite 150 gallons in all likelyhood. As for the way he built it,if it has sand behind it then it will be fine,if not it will buckle and deform. My first pond did that because the sand I used behind it settled leaving no support on the high edges. These preforms are actually more difficult to install correctly because the hole must be near perfect.
Hey Red? Are you the newly appointed on topic police:hmm3grin2orange:

Red
05-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Looks are deceiving when it comes to these type pond liners. It is actually not quite 150 gallons in all likelyhood. As for the way he built it,if it has sand behind it then it will be fine,if not it will buckle and deform. My first pond did that because the sand I used behind it settled leaving no support on the high edges. These preforms are actually more difficult to install correctly because the hole must be near perfect.
Hey Red? Are you the newly appointed on topic police:hmm3grin2orange:

How did you know smaug? Just kidding, sometimes I wonder why people wonder away from the chatterbox.

But I do agree with smaug, you have to do it right and take your time, or you will end up with a whole bunch of water and goldfish in your yard.

Rue
05-14-2011, 10:29 PM
How did you know smaug? Just kidding, sometimes I wonder why people wonder away from the chatterbox.

Is that on topic? Just wondering...or is that wandering? :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: